Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content

J-1 Visa

A J-1 Visa may be the most appropriate type of visa for an international employee hired to teach in a temporary teaching position. The hiring department must contact International Student and Scholar Services as soon as possible after the position has been offered in order to ascertain what visa type is appropriate. ISSS will issue the paperwork to the prospective employee.

If the J-1 visa is deemed most appropriate, the hiring department must complete a Request to Host J-1 Visa International Exchange Visitor and return it to International Student and Scholar Services, MSC 5731. Please note that visa application procedure sometimes takes several weeks, depending upon whether the Embassy has a backlog of visa application appointments and whether an extensive background check will be required, so you are urged to complete this paperwork as soon as possible.

In general, a J-1 Professor may be employed only by the sponsoring institution. However, if the sponsoring institution gives prior permission, the Scholar may participate in occasional lectures or short-term consultations at a different institution. This additional employment must be incidental to the main purpose of the stay and must not cause a necessity for an extension of the DS-2019.