Student Honors Advisory Council (SHAC)
The Student Honors Advisory Council (SHAC) is a new initiative that will launch in January 2014. This group of 20-30 Honors students serves as a student goverment body for the JMU Honors Program, representing the interests of Honors students, developing community through the Madision Honors student club, and working with Honors staff to develop programs and initiatives that are student-centered. SHAC plays a direct role in shaping the future of the Honors Program.
Membership terms begin in January and are renewable every year. The council is governed by an Executive Committee consisting of a President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Historian. All non-EC members serve on one of three committees: Events and Outreach; Development; and Publicity and Recruiting. Meetings take place once a month. Honors Program directors work closely with SHAC on projects and initiatives and are present at meetings and events.
Benefits of Joining SHAC
- Opportunity to exercise leadership within the Honors community
- Make a difference in Honors and have a voice in the future direction of the program
- Work closely with Honors faculty and staff and gain an insider perspective on the Honors Program
- Get the inside track on Honors courses, scholarships, events, and initiatives
- Network with Honors alumni, make important contacts, attend special dinners, receptions, and retreats
- Build credentials for your CV or resumé
How to Join
Applications are accepted every fall semester. Please download the application form and submit it to the Honors Program office by the stated deadline. Selected applicants will interview with current SHAC members and Honors Program staff.
Fall 2013 Application Deadline: noon, Monday, November 11.
For more information, contact: Jared Diener, Academic Advisor - firstname.lastname@example.org