Welcome to the Department of Engineering at James Madison University!
This is an exciting time for the Department of Engineering. We've grown in the three years since our formation with a few faculty and no students to a robust program with a growing faculty and hundreds of students. Our vision is that JMU engineering graduates will improve the sustainability of Virginia and the world by considering the environmental, energy, financial, security, and social impacts when analyzing problems and designing solutions by:
- analyzing and solving real-world human problems
- modeling, simulating, and testing complex interdependent socio-technical systems
- integrating business, social, and ethical aspects into engineering solutions
- working effectively in interdisciplinary teams and international environments
- managing engineering projects in a timely and cost-effective manner
- communicating solutions effectively to diverse audiences
- striving toward lifelong learning and creative critical thinking
Rather than splitting into separate departments that address the sub-disciplines of the engineering profession, we offer a single, integrated, engineering degree that focuses on sustainability, design, and systems analysis in order to educate and train “engineering generalists” who can address the wide range of ever-changing engineering challenges of the 21st century.
At JMU you will experience a broad, interdisciplinary engineering curriculum on your way to receiving a Bachelor of Science in Engineering. The curriculum is designed for ABET accreditation (the international engineering accreditation body), and will prepare you to take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) pre-licensure examination. This is the first step on your way to becoming a licensed professional engineer.
We have embarked on an exciting and challenging journey that will redefine the meaning of an undergraduate engineering education. If you would like to learn more and possibly join us, please call 540-568-8988 or email email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
- October 26-November 20
Fall Food Drive
- April 16, 2016
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.