Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is an educational and service organization that empowers women to succeed and advance in the field of engineering, and to be recognized for their life-changing contributions as engineers and leaders. SWE establishes engineering as a highly desirable career for women through an exciting array of training and development programs, networking opportunities, scholarships, outreach and advocacy activities, and much more.
Our mission is to stimulate women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders, expand the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in improving the quality of life, and demonstrate the value of diversity.
JMU SWE focuses to reach out into our community to establish engineering as a career aspiration to women. JMU SWE concentrates on following goals and objectives:
- Growing the Profession—To increase the number of women choosing to enter the engineering and technology profession.
- Professional Excellence—To have the women in engineering and technology excel professionally, and their achievements are showcased and valued.
- Industry Catalyst—To create SWE as a catalyst for changing the professional climate to enable women in engineering and technology to excel.
JMU Society of Women Engineers addresses these goals by providing professional development sessions at regional conferences for members in all career stages. We also create educational workshops to encourage young, developing students to pursue a STEM-related (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) career. Running just as deep as the camaraderie we share, are the opportunities and resources that come along with membership.
Upcoming Events and Programs
For More Information
- November 15 - December 15
2013 Governor's Holiday Hoops Classic
A friendly food drive/donation competition between JMU, Virginia Tech, VCU and Hampton. Donate food items in barrels placed throughout campus.
Open Faculty Position
Assistant Professor of Engineering
- Study Abroad Opportunities
Engineering, ISAT, Geographic Science, and IDLS Summer Study Abroad in Malta