Madison Engineering (MadE) Leadership Program
Application deadline is January 29, 2016 at 5 p.m.
The James Madison University Department of Engineering is seeking dedicated, responsible, service-driven, students to participate in the MadE Leadership Program.
Students within the program have the opportunity to serve and positively represent JMU and the Department of Engineering, facilitate the connection between the Department of Engineering and the surrounding communities, and be a mentor and spokesperson for the Department through various activities, while mastering the art of technical leadership.
In order to participate in the leadership program, applicants must be available:
- To attend one of the three Building Cultural Competency Workshops on March 2, 3, or 4, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
- For an interview on one of the following days: February 10, 17, or 24, 2016 from 12:20 - 1:10 p.m. (Location: HHS 2021)
- To participate in the first meeting which will be held on March 9, 2016 from 12:20 - 1:10 p.m. (Location: HHS 2021)
- To participate in an 8-week class beginning on March 14, 2016 from 12:20 - 1:10 p.m.
- On Monday and Wednesdays from 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon and from 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. during the 2016-2017 academic year.
- During the week of August 22-27
If are interested in participating and have scheduling conflicts, please contact Dr. Kyle Gipson via email.
MadE Leadership RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in workshops and programs showcasing the Madison Engineering experience such as: CHOICES, College visitation days, Open House, First Year class teaching assistants, networking programs, Career Fair, K-12 outreach, alumni dinner panels, campus workshops and programs, etc. (Students are required to support a minimum of four programs.)
- Assist Department of Engineering in developing strategies to raise student participation in co- and extra-curricular activities.
- Serve as go-to "focus group" to provide feedback on programs and events to assist in programming efforts.
- Serve as liaison between Department of Engineering and student body, communicating information about engineering and STEM disciplines to students as well as relaying critical information back to the Department of Engineering.
- Complete an engineering-related group project to culminate as a tangible resource of information for the interested high school and transfer students, Department of Engineering and JMU student communities.
- Attend required training classes.
MadE Leadership REWARDS
- Regular training sessions to foster skill and knowledge development in a variety of leadership areas, not limited to career-specific topics.
- Recognized leadership role on campus. Recognized by peers as go-to students for department-related resources and guidance.
- Engineering leadership certificate that can be included on your resume.
- Professional relationship with Department of Engineering and the College of Integrated Science & Engineering staff members.
2016 Student SELECTION PROCESS
- January 20-29 - Accepting applications
- January 27 - Interest meeting in HHS 2021 at 12:20 p.m.
- January 30 - Application review process begins
- February 10-24 - Interviews are scheduled
- February 26 - Applicants are notified
- Upon acceptance, students must send Jamie Claytor an email stating that they want to be enrolled into ENGR 480 Section 0001: Engineering Leadership.
For all inquiries about the MadE Leadership Program, please contact Kyle Gipson.
- Summer Hours
May 6 – August 19
Mon-Thurs 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12 noon