Madison Engineering (MadE) Leadership Program
Application deadline is Friday, May 7, at 5 p.m.
The James Madison University Department of Engineering is seeking dedicated, responsible, service-driven, students to participate in the MadE Leadership Program.
Students within the program have the opportunity to serve and positively represent JMU and the Department of Engineering, facilitate the connection between the Department of Engineering and the surrounding communities, and be a mentor and spokesperson for the Department through various activities, while mastering the art of technical leadership.
In order to participate, students must be available for training during the summer months (online) and in person from August 18-21 and will continue during the fall. Students must send Jamie Claytor an email stating that they want to be enrolled into Section 5: Engineering Leadership.
- Participate in workshops and programs showcasing the Madison Engineering experience such as: CHOICES, College visitation days, Open House, First Year class teaching assistants, networking programs, Career Fair, K-12 outreach, alumni dinner panels, campus workshops and programs, etc. (Students are required to support a minimum of four programs.)
- Assist Department of Engineering in developing strategies to raise student participation in co- and extra-curricular activities.
- Serve as go-to “focus group” to provide feedback on programs and events to assist in programming efforts.
- Serve as liaison between Department of Engineering and student body, communicating information about engineering and STEM disciplines to students as well as relaying critical information back to the Department of Engineering.
- Complete an engineering-related group project to culminate as a tangible resource of information for the interested high school and transfer students, Department of Engineering and JMU student communities.
- Attend required training classes.
- Regular training sessions to foster skill and knowledge development in a variety of leadership areas, not limited to career-specific topics.
- Recognized leadership role on campus. Recognized by peers as go-to students for department-related resources and guidance.
- Name tags and shirts with “MadE Ambassador” for recognition purposes.
- Engineering leadership certificate that can be included on your resume.
- Professional relationship with Department of Engineering and the College of Integrated Science & Engineering staff members.
Student SELECTION PROCESS:
- Applications are made available, via email, each spring semester.
- Applicants must submit a resume and completed application, including short essay responses.
- Following the application, select students will be invited to participate in an interview.
- Decisions will be made based on application, resume, and the interview.
For all inquiries about the MadE Leadership Program, please contact Kyle Gipson.
- May 12 - August 15
JMU Summer Hours Begin
Offices are open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and on Friday from 8:00 a.m. - Noon