James Madison University

Declaring the Major

New Freshmen and Transfer Students

Declaring the engineering major when registering for orientation will enable students to be assigned to an engineering advisor during Freshmen or Transfer Orientation who can answer questions and help them to plan a course of academic study. The BS in engineering degree is not a freshman admit program. Typically, students will apply for the BS in engineering degree after their second semester sophomore year and will be formally admitted into the program at that time.

Currently Enrolled Major Changers

In order to change one’s major to engineering, a student must complete a “Change or Declaration of Major” form and submit it to the Engineering Student Coordinator. Once the student has met with the student coordinator and determined his or her academic path, the form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

All students should be aware of the Academic Policies for all engineering majors.


  • September 12
    6:00 p.m.
    ICCE Event: Innovation, Collaboration, Creativity, Entrepreneurship
    Festival and Student Conference Center
  • September 19
    12:15 p.m.
    MADE Professionalism Seminar Series:
    Construction Engineering and Cover Letters that Sing
    HHS 2003
  • September 19-20
    Capital One/JMU Hack-a-Thon 
    ICE House
  • September 29-30
    Fall Career and Internship Fair
    11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
    Festival Ballroom
  • October 3
    12:15 p.m.
    MADE Professionalism Seminar Series:
    Engineering Study Abroad Opportunities
    HHS 2003