Department of Early, Elementary & Reading Education
The Department of Early, Elementary, and Reading Education offers graduate and undergraduate programs in literacy, early, and elementary education that are approved by the Virginia Department of Education and accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education. All programs have an extensive fieldwork component that assures students varied opportunities for experiences working with children and families. The department also operates the Young Children's Program, a laboratory preschool for three and four year olds. The Reading Center, a collection of current children's literature, supports all professional education licensure programs. Programs and faculty are housed in Memorial Hall.
Deadline to Apply for 2 Scholarships is October 27!
... Read More >
Destination Costa Rica for education students
Real-world experiences make two courses come to life ... Read More >
Brain research is key to math education
A JMU faculty member contributes his expertise to a statewide gathering of mathematics educators ... Read More >
'Come February, the walls will bloom again'
Spring comes early to Memorial Hall, thanks to talented young artists ... Read More >
- Oct 22: Education Support Center Open House
- Oct 27: Visiting Scholar: Dr. Alice Honig
- Oct 31: Deadline to submit 2015-2016 Student Teaching Applications
- Nov 10: Orientation Meeting for Spring 2015 Student Teachers
- Nov 10: Deadline to submit requirements for Spring/May 2015 Student Teaching
- Nov 15: Academic Open House