- View our majors
- View our publications online
- Come for a visit
- Join our mailing list
- Review financial aid and scholarships
- Keep up your senior year grades!
- Complete your application. Include:
- The online application
- $60 application fee
- Official high school transcripts including senior year schedule
- ACT or SAT I test scores sent directly from the testing agency
- All official dual enrollment transcripts
- Fine arts and nursing majors have special requirements
- View dates and deadlines
- More on the freshman application process
Check your status
- Check your status on MyMadison. We'll email you access instructions a few days after your application is received.
- Application/mail processing status. See what documents our office is currently processing.
- View MyMadison tutorial
Freshman Application Process
A complete JMU application includes:
- The online application
- $60 application fee
- An official high school transcript (including senior year schedule)
- ACT or SAT1 test scores (sent directly from the testing agency)
- All Dual Enrollment College Transcripts: (official)
- Applicants who took college courses prior to their senior year must submit their College transcript to compete their application.
- Applicants taking college courses during their senior year will be required to submit those transcripts as soon as they are available.
Your application will be reviewed once you have submitted all of the above required information. In order to expedite the process, please send only the required documents listed above. The Office of Admissions processes documents (electronic and paper) in the order in which they are received.
Online Application and Fee
Your application is not sent to us until you pay your $60 processing fee and it is authorized. You can pay by debit/credit card or check (US bank accounts only). Note that there are special admissions requirements if you intend on majoring in art, music, theatre, dance or nursing.
High School Transcript
Please submit an official copy of your high school transcript electronically or via postal mail (not both) including 9th, 10th and 11th grades and a senior year class schedule. If you are meeting all requirements for graduating in less than 4 years, and a grade is omitted on the transcript, we require a written explanation from your guidance counselor.
The Secondary School Report Form (PDF ). Many high schools have developed their own version of this form. Ask your school counselor to complete the Secondary School Report Form and send it along with your official high school transcript and one (optional) letter of recommendation. If you ask someone besides your school counselor to write your letter of recommendation ask your counselor not to mail the high school transcript until you have provided them with that letter.
Please note: Multiple copies of the high school transcript with letters of recommendation attached will not be reviewed unless the transcript is clearly marked “Revised Transcript” with a notation of what that revision is.
Official SAT I or ACT Scores
JMU requires your official test results be sent to us electronically direct from the testing agency. When reviewing test scores we use the highest individual verbal and highest individual math scores from the SAT. For the ACT we use your single highest composite score. SAT IIs are not required nor considered in the admissions process.
Your personal statement gives you an opportunity to tell the admissions committee more about yourself. You may use it to highlight special interests, talents, goals, unique experiences or a special circumstance. Please keep the personal statement to a 500-word maximum. If you do not submit the personal statement with your online application, please include it with your high school transcript packet, not under separate cover.
Activities, Honors and Awards
The online application provides a place to list six honors and awards as well as six activities. We recommend that you choose your six most notable. We are looking for quality involvement rather than long lists. Please tell us about club, organization and athletic activity. We are also interested in students who have been involved in community service or held part-time jobs. Resumes will not be considered.
Checking Your Status
You can monitor the status of your application via MyMadison. Admissions decisions are also posted here — you will not receive a notification in the mail. Instructions for accessing this site will be e-mailed to you within 3-5 days of receiving your online application.