Research Ethics &
Responsible Conduct of Research
Educational Materials - JMU has entered into the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI). This program provides the mandated training for (1) Research Ethics and Responsible Conduct of Research, (2) Human Subjects Research, (3) Lab Animal Welfare, and (4) Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI).
CITI has developed a course on the responsible conduct of research (RCR) that is available on-line. The course covers the core RCR instructional areas including data management, conflict of interest, publication, authorship, peer review, collaboration, mentoring, and research misconduct. In addition, there are courses on Human Subject Research, Lab Animal Welfare, and FCOI, which must also be completed depending on your research.
Follow the instructions below to register for the RCR, Human Subjects, Lab Animal Welfare, and Financial Conflict of Interest courses:
- Go to CITIProgram.org and click "Register Here."
- Select James Madison University for the participating institution from the drop down list.
- Enter your user name, email information, and password of your choice.
- Enter the requested member information to complete your profile. After the information has been entered you will be forwarded to the CITI Course Enrollment Procedure page.
- At this point you may affiliate with another institution. The software will sum the requirements of both institutions so that you need not retake modules common to the requirements of both institutions. You can choose to affiliate with another institution at any time after registration under the Main Menu.
- On the Course Enrollment page, you will be presented with a series of questions or options to enable you to enroll in the Learner Group appropriate to your interests and needs.
- The next page is the Main Menu. This page lists the courses you have chosen. The Main Menu also provides a number of Course Utilities designed to help you.
- You may "Add a course or update your learner groups." This link will take you to the enrollment questions and permit you to change your "Learner Group" by providing new responses to the enrollment questions.
- The red link (Enter or Re-Enter) will permit you to Begin/Continue the Course.
- Please complete the Integrity Assurance module presented at the top. The system will allow you to start taking the courses after completing it.
- Complete the required modules and associated quizzes.
- Complete any "Elective" modules.
- When you complete all Required Modules in your curriculum, you will be shown a link to "Optional Modules" in the Optional Course Catalog. You may return to the course site at a future time to review these modules.
- When you complete all required modules successfully, you may print your completion report through the link: "Print" in the Learner's menu.
The modules need to be completed in sequential order but you do not need to complete the course in one sitting. The passing score is 80%. This score is based on the overall calculation of your completed Required Modules. Certification of completion for the CITI training program is valid for three years for IRB, IACUC, and RCR, and four years for FCOI, at which time re-certification must be obtained. You will be notified by CITI when you are required to become re-certified.
Course Completion Notification
The University of Miami will notify you and the Office of Research Compliance (ORC) upon your completion of this course. Please print a copy of the Certificate of Completion (link can be found at the finish of your last quiz question) to keep with your records as your official certificate.
Technical issues should be addressed to email@example.com or to (305) 243-7970.
Should you have any questions regarding the CITI Training Program, please contact:
Pat Buennemeyer, Director