Protocol Submission Procedure
Protocol Submission Deadline: 1st Day of Month by 5:00 P.M.
(Example: If you need your protocol reviewed in September, you must submit your protocol by September 1st at 5:00 P.M.
**All protocols submitted AFTER the deadline WILL NOT be reviewed until the NEXT month! All projects are to be submitted to the Office of Sponsored Programs Administration both electronically (firstname.lastname@example.org) and in hard copy "signed" by all responsible researchers and your department head (MSC 5728).
Procedures for Submitting Proposed Animal Use Protocols:
1. Submit the printed original, signed and completed protocol package (including the description of the methodology involving animals and types abstract) to the IACUC at Sponsored Programs Administration MSC 5728, Suite 26. http://www.jmu.edu/sponsprog/iacuc/form_animal_use_protocol.doc
2. Submit an electronic copy of your protocol to email@example.com. All proposals must be submitted using MS Word.
3. The protocol cover page of the original submitted hard copy must include signatures of the principal investigator or instructor, each co-investigator named, and the department chairperson prior to IACUC approval.
4. Protocols to be reviewed should be received by IACUC not less than 30 days prior to the date approval is required.
5. The Principal Investigator must receive notification of approval from the IACUC prior to beginning the research project.
6. On approval, commencement and expiration dates will be assigned for the project, and a copy of the application form will be returned to the principal investigator or instructor.
Application approval will be for a maximum of three years.
The principal investigator or instructor will be contacted annually by the IACUC, to renew the protocol and verify the status of the project.
If no significant change in the protocol has occurred, renewal approval may be extended for a year, until the maximum period of three years has been met.
Any significant change in the protocol requires a new application and the IACUC's approval.
Approval will be canceled for discontinued projects.