SRM Undergraduate

Internship and Practicum Information


Are you ready to enroll in a SRM Practicum (SRM 282) or SRM Internship (SRM 482)?

Review this slideshow to get important information about selecting your agency and enrolling in MyMadison:  SRM Practicum and Internship Information

When you have found an internship or practicum, work with your site supervisor to fill out and turn in the appropriate form from the list below.  Make sure the completed form has all of your information included, and is emailed to

Fall 2013 SRM Practicum (SRM 282), Spring 2014 Practicum Pdf, Summer 2014 Practicum Pdf

Fall 2013 SRM Internship (SRM 482), Spring 2014 Internship Pdf, Summer 2014 Internship Pdf


Helpful Advising FAQs


How do I contact my advisor?

Sara's office is in Godwin 220B, which is inside the study lounge on the main floor of Godwin. Her phone number is (540) 568-5539, and her email address is The best way to contact her is via email.

How do I make an appointment?

There are sign-up sheets on Sara's office door, listing available hours. You can also email and request an appointment; please include available times in your email.

What is the difference between "dropping" and "withdrawing?"

Dropping a class removes it from your schedule and erases it from your transcript. Withdrawing from a class records a grade of "W" to your transcript, which does not affect your GPA or add to your credit hours. A class can only be dropped in the first few days of a semester. Once the drop deadline has passed, you may withdraw from a class until the course adjustment deadline.

How do I drop a class?

To drop a class before the add/drop deadline, simply log into MyMadison and choose "drop." You will see a green checkmark confirming the drop.

How do I withdraw from a class?

To withdraw from a class before the course adjustment deadline, simply log into MyMadison and drop the class. Withdrawing after the course adjustment deadline can only be done with special permission from the professor of the course, and results in a grade of WP (indicating passing at the time of withdrawal) or WF (indicating failing at the time of withdrawal). If the professor grants the request, he or she will assign the grade at the end of the semester; no further action is needed from the student. WP/WF grades do not affect your GPA.

How does repeating a class work?

There are two types of repeat options: "repeat credit" and "repeat/forgive." Repeat credit averages both grades for the class together, although the credits are only counted once. You may use the repeat credit option as many times as you like. Repeat/forgive replaces your first grade with the second grade (regardless of which is the better grade), and may only be used twice in your career at JMU.

To enroll in a class you are repeating, add the class to your cart and choose the appropriate repeat option from the pulldown menu titled "Repeat Options."

How do overrides work?

Override policies vary department to department. Generally speaking, the first place to go for an override is the professor of the course you wish to enroll in.

For HM and SRM courses, all override requests must be brought to our department head, Dr. Michael O'Fallon.

For business courses, all override requests must be submitted through an online override form that is open during a short window after each registration period. Further questions should be directed to the College of Business' Academic Services Center.

How do I prepare for and enroll in a practicum or internship?

In the semester prior to the semester in which you want to complete your practicum or internship, you must attend an informational meeting which will cover requirements and procedures for completion. After securing a position, you must have your supervisor fill out an Agency Acceptance Form and turn it in to the practicum/internship coordinator. You will then be sent permission to enroll in the course. Practicums and internships are kept closed on MyMadison; you must uncheck the "open classes only" box when searching for the course.

The current practicum/internship coordinator is Dr. Dave Shonk (

I'm having trouble enrolling in a class; can you help me?

Possibly. Your advisor will need to know the error message you are getting from MyMadison, as well as what steps you have already taken to investigate/correct the issue.

How do I transfer a course from another school?

See the Registrar’s instructions here:

Where can I find so-and-so’s email address?

JMU has a Campus Directory, found here:

What are university electives?

University electives are courses you may choose based on interest, rather than a required set of classes. Electives help bridge the gap between your credit total after Gen Eds and major requirements (usually 107-110) and the required minimum for graduation (120). You may decide to “spend” these credits on another major or minor, or simply take a sampling of other courses that interest you.

What electives should I take? Where can I find electives?

Electives can be literally anything that you receive credit for, as long as it is not already required for your major. Think about other subjects you are interested in, and see what JMU offers. Look at the list of minors and check out the classes that make up the ones that catch your eye. Take an KIN activity course, such as racquetball, ballroom dance, or scuba diving.

My classes are all closed! What should I do?

- Contact the professor or department of a class you want to request an override for.

- If the class you want has a waitlist option, make sure you are on the waitlist.

- Check to see if there are any other courses open that will fulfill your requirements.

- Keep checking MyMadison. Classes open and close all the time as students change their schedules; you may check just as someone drops the class you want.

How can I help my advisor?

- Use good grammar. Remember that you are learning how to conduct yourself professionally; always spell-check your emails and remember to include your name at the end. Your advisor was an English major; not only is text speak in an email very unprofessional, it really, really bugs her.

- Don’t re-send emails.  Your advisor get to emails as quickly as she can; forwarding the exact same email you already sent because you feel she hasn’t responded quickly enough will get your email sent to the bottom of the list. If you are concerned that your email has malfunctioned and didn’t actually send, write a new email explaining that as you re-ask your question.

- Exercise responsibility. Your advisor is here to help you, and is more than happy to explain policies and requirements to you and work through challenging situations with you. However, it is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with existing tools like your catalog, advising FAQs, and other informational documents. It is much easier for your advisor to help you when you begin by helping yourself.

- Stop by and introduce yourself! We are a big major, and it is incredibly helpful when you establish a relationship with your advisor early on. Plus, she keeps candy in her office, so why wouldn’t you say hi?