Protocol Submission Procedure
Protocol Submission Deadline (for Full Board Protocols)
**All protocols submitted AFTER the deadline WILL NOT be reviewed until the NEXT scheduled meeting!
All projects are to be submitted to the Office of Research Integrity both electronically and in hard copy "signed" by all responsible researchers and faculty advisor (if student). Please note effective June 1, 2015, protocols will no longer be accepted on old forms. Any submissions received on outdated froms will be returned and you will be requested to fill out the new form. Please pull all forms from the Forms page to ensure they are current.
If you are planning a research project that includes the use of human subjects, then your protocol must be approved by JMU's Institutional Review Board (IRB) before you can commence the research. The steps outlined below should guide you through the IRB application process.
Procedures for Submitting Proposed Human Subject Protocols:
- Submit the printed original, signed and completed protocol package to the IRB at Office of Research Integrity, MSC 5738.
- Submit an electronic copy of your protocol to firstname.lastname@example.org. All proposals must be submitted using MS Word (.doc) format.
- Protocols to be reviewed should be received by IRB not less than 3 weeks prior to the date approval is required.
- The Principal Investigator must receive notification of approval from the IRB prior to beginning the research project.
- All responsible researchers and faculty advisor (if student) listed on protocol must successfully complete the Social/Behavioral, Basic Course CITI training before IRB approval will be granted.
- On approval, start and expiration dates will be assigned for the project, and a copy of the Action of the Board form will be sent to the principal investigator(s) and faculty advisor (if student).
Protocol approval will be for a maximum of (1) year.
The principal investigator will be contacted annually to verify the status of the project.
If no significant change in the protocol has occurred, renewal approval may be extended for a year, until the maximum period of three years has been met.
Any significant change in the protocol requires a new application and the IRB’s approval.
Approval will be canceled for discontinued projects.
|Internal Review Process|
Once we receive your electronic Human Research Review Request, ORI will review it to check for any errors, make edits, and/or provide suggestions. Although the ORI does not approve the protocols, we are in a position to see the types of issues that cause them to be returned for additional changes. As a service to you, we try to make sure that each protocol is submitted without any missing information in order to maximize your chances for a speedy review.
Reviewers are given (5) business days to review each completed protocol.
Effective June 1, 2015: ONE courtesy reminder will be emailed to you requesting the need for actions on your part. If no response is received within (5) business days, your file will be closed and marked as incomplete. If you wish to start the project over, you will need to resubmit for review and approval.
Once your protocol is approved you will receive an approval email followed by the IRB Approval Memo with a copy of Action of the Board (AOB) signed by the IRB chair via campus mail. Please save the AOB for your records.