Protocol Submission Procedure
**All protocols submitted AFTER the deadline WILL NOT be reviewed until the NEXT scheduled meeting!
All projects are to be submitted to the Office of Research Integrity both electronically and in hard copy "signed" by all responsible researchers and faculty advisor (if student).
If you are planning a research project that includes the use of human subjects, then your protocol must be approved by JMU's Institutional Review Board (IRB) before you can commence the research. The steps outlined below should guide you through the IRB application process.
Procedures for Submitting Proposed Human Subject Protocols:
- Submit the printed original, signed and completed protocol package to the IRB at Office of Research Integrity, MSC 5738.
- Submit an electronic copy of your protocol to email@example.com. All proposals must be submitted using MS Word (.doc) format.
- Protocols to be reviewed should be received by IRB not less than 3 weeks prior to the date approval is required.
- The Principal Investigator must receive notification of approval from the IRB prior to beginning the research project.
- All responsible researchers and faculty advisor (if student) listed on protocol must successfully complete the Social/Behavioral, Basic Course CITI training before IRB approval will be granted.
- On approval, start and expiration dates will be assigned for the project, and a copy of the Action of the Board form will be sent to the principal investigator(s) and faculty advisor (if student).
Protocol approval will be for a maximum of (1) year.
The principal investigator will be contacted annually to verify the status of the project.
If no significant change in the protocol has occurred, renewal approval may be extended for a year, until the maximum period of three years has been met.
Any significant change in the protocol requires a new application and the IRB’s approval.
Approval will be canceled for discontinued projects.
|Internal Review Process|
Once we receive your electronic Human Research Review Request, ORI will review it to check for any errors, make edits, and/or provide suggestions. Although the ORI does not approve the protocols, we are in a position to see the types of issues that cause them to be returned for additional changes. As a service to you, we try to make sure that each protocol is submitted without any missing information in order to maximize your chances for a speedy review.
Reviewers are given (5) business days to review each completed
Once your protocol is approved you will receive an approval email
followed by the IRB Approval Memo with a copy of Action of the Board (AOB)
signed by the IRB chair via campus mail. Please save the AOB for your records.