Higher Education Assessment Specialist
As a leader in assessment, JMU's Center for Assessment and Research Studies and the Assessment and Measurement Ph.D. program receive frequent requests for trainings, workshops and presentations on assessment practice by institutions and individuals who are trying to meet accreditation and accountability demands. This certificate is designed to meet that need while recognizing that busy assessment practitioners desire professional development that fits into their busy lives.
This online certificate program will provide the most up-to-date information about assessment practice in higher education, and help you develop skills to apply that knowledge at your institution.
JMU's Higher Education Assessment Specialist graduate certificate program offers professional development and certification for assessment practitioners at institutions of higher education. All coursework is delivered entirely online, making it convenient for your busy schedule.
Certificate Program Objectives:
- Students will discuss policy issues in higher education and how policy affects assessment practice in colleges and universities.
- Students will develop professional assessment skills, including instrument design and consultation, through applied projects and experiences.
- Students will participate in all phases of the assessment process working on an assessment-related experience at his or her home institution.
- Students will develop, select, and critique higher education assessment instruments guided by modern validity theory.
- Students will identify the appropriate measurement tools and statistical analyses needed for common assessment situations.
- Students will develop communication skills necessary for assessment practice including: interpersonal, consultation, and professional etiquette
For information about the certificate, contact the Program Coordinator:
Robin Anderson, Psy.D.
Academic Unit Head
Professor, Graduate Psychology