Feeling safe and supported is important for all students within the JMU community. Students seeking housing accommodations are encouraged to contact Katie Musar, Assistant Director, University Housing at 540-568-4663.
Gender neutral restrooms on campus
JMU has an evolving and growing list of gender neutral restrooms for students to use. Please note that some of these are located in residence halls that may only be accessed by students who live in the building, or are the guest of a resident.
Health and Safety
- University Health Center - Provides care and education that helps students be well, stay well and do well.
- Valley Aids Network - Provides rapid HIV testing services, comprehensive health education and holistic support to those affected by HIV/AIDS in the Central Shenandoah Valley.
- Gay & Lesbian Medical Association - Ensures equality in healthcare for lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans* individuals and healthcare providers.
- National Coalition for LGBT Health - Committed to improving the health and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and trans* individuals through advocacy, education and research.
- The Trevor Project - Provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans* and questioning (LGBTQ) young people ages 13-24.
- Virginia Department of Health - Trans* resource and referral list.
- HelpGuide.Org - Information on understanding and preventing suicide.
- It Gets Better Project - Communicates to LGBTQ youth that it gets better with videos and other helpful information.
Body image and Eating Disorders
- National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) - Issues with body image and eating can affect anyone at any time in their life.
- JMU Counseling Center LGBTQIQA services
- Counseling and Psychological Services Clinic at JMU
Career and academic planning
- JMU Career & Academic Planning (CAP) - Helpful career and academic services.
Positive Ally Behavior
- GLAAD - Provides resources and tips on how to be an ally and a friend.
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) - Provides the guide "An Ally's Guide to Issues Facing the LGBT Community" to explore how allies can promote LGBT equality.
Other cool links
- Madison Equality - JMU student organization for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender students.
- Safe Zone - Voluntary network of faculty, staff and students who believe that every member of the university community should have an equal opportunity to grow and learn in a safe and open environment.
- LGBTQ Faculty & Staff Group - Benefits advocacy, data collection, and social events.
- Consortium of High Education LGBT Resource Professionals - Works seek climate improvement on campuses and to advocate for policy change, program development, and establishment of LGBT Office/Centers.
- Campus Pride Index - Assists campuses in learning ways to improve their LGBT campus life and ultimately shape the educational experience to be more inclusive, welcoming and respectful.
- Equality Virginia - Statewide, non-partisan lobbying, education, and support network for the GLBT communities in Virginia.
- Shenandoah Valley Gay and Lesbian Association - Create a safe, affirming, and fun environment where members are empowered to reach their full human potential.
- Shenandoah Valley YES! Alliance - Serve, educate, empower, and celebrate LGBTQ and questioning youth, allies, and families by providing a safe, youth-centered, confidential space with access to support, resources, and social opportunities.
- PFLAG - Parents, families, friends, and allies uniting with LGBT loved ones to promote support, education, and advocacy.
- HRC - Human Rights Campaign represents a grassroots force of more than 700,000 members and supporters nationwide and as the largest national GLBT civil rights organization.
The views and opinions expressed on this website and its pages are those of JMU's LGBT & Ally Education Program Office. JMU wholly controls its own websites, retaining the right and ability to exclude any information and any link at any time. These JMU webpages may contain links to other websites not owned or controlled by JMU. These links are provided purely as a convenience to individuals who may be interested in this topic, and the content of those external websites do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of JMU. Those external web addresses contain information created, published, maintained, or otherwise posted by institutions or organizations independent of JMU. JMU does not endorse, approve, certify, or control these external web addresses and does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of information located at such addresses.