Board of Visitors Meeting Summary
From: Public Affairs
James Madison University
Board of Visitors Meeting
June 1, 2012
Summary of Actions / Discussions
The James Madison University Board of Visitors met Friday, June 1, 2012, in the Board Room of Madison's Festival Conference and Student Center.
Following is a summary of actions taken by the board and key areas of discussion at the board meeting:
- Approved the April 13, 2012 Board of Visitors meeting minutes;
- Received the president’s report presented by Dr. Linwood Rose;
- Approved reports from the Athletics, Audit, Development, Education & Student Life, Executive and Finance & Physical Development Committees;
- Approved the creation of a biophysical chemistry major;
- Approved changes to the constitution of the Faculty Senate;
- Heard a presentation on the Office of International Programs by Dr. Lee Sternberger, executive director;
- Mr. Charles King, Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance, presented the 2012-2013 budget;
2012-2013 Budget Summary (in millions)
Education & General
- Approved the 2012 – 2013 budget;
- Approved the issuance of bonds for certain capital projects;
- Approved the issuance of an easement to the City of Harrisonburg for the future Bluestone Trail;
- Approved the purchase of the following properties:
- Parcel 025-K-21 Kyle Street
- 28 West Grace Street, 725 and 781 Walnut Lane
- Elected officers for the 2012-2013 term.
Was told by President Linwood H. Rose:
- That JMU Board of Visitors member Don Rainey had been appointed to the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Investment Authority Board;
- That 1982 alumnus, Jeff Gammage, was part of a team of reporters at the Philadelphia Inquirer to win the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service;
- That during the May commencement, degrees were conferred upon 3,567 undergraduates and 558 graduate students. 56 nursing students received pins and 21 ROTC cadets received their commissions.
- That the JMU track and field team won their first-ever Colonial Athletic Association title.