Board of Visitors Meeting, June 3, 2011
From: Public Affairs
Summary of Actions/Discussions
The James Madison University Board of Visitors met Friday, June 3, 2011, in the Board Room of Madison's Festival Conference and Student Center.
Following is a summary of actions taken by the board and key areas of discussion at the board meeting:
- Approved the April 1, 2011 BOV meeting minutes;
- Received the President's report presented by Dr. Linwood Rose;
- Approved committee reports from Athletics, Audit, Development, Education & Student Life, and Finance & Physical Development;
- Elected officers for the 2011-2012 term;
- Heard a presentation on the Center for Assessment and Research Studies (CARS) by Dr. Linda Halpern, Dean, University Studies, and Dr. Donna Sundre and Dr. Keston Fulcher of CARS.
- Heard a presentation on the Alumni Association's Centennial Celebration by Mr. AJ Fischer, President, Alumni Association Board, and was informed of a gift commitment of $100,000 by the Alumni Association to the university;
- Mr. Charles King, Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance, presented the 2011-2012 budget.
|2011-2012 Budget Summary (Millions)|
| ||2010-11||2011-12||$ Change|
|Education & General|
Was told by President Linwood H. Rose:
- Approved the 2011-2012 budget.
- Approved the purchase of three properties:
- 28 Port Republic
- 1210 S. Main St.
- 15 E. Fairview
- that JMU received SCHEV certification: JMU met all performance standards;
- that JMU recently celebrated commencement, recognizing the accomplishments of 3,400 undergraduates, 482 graduates, pinned 64 nurses and commissioned 22 second lieutenants;
- that JMU established a partnership with Rosetta Stone in which JMU awards three credits for a 16-week Spanish program;
- that JMU's Madison Investment Fund was "internationally recognized among 300 universities as the second best student-managed fund in the equity value investment category, less than 1 percent behind the winning vote.";
- that JMU was named to the 2010 President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll;
- that the JMU women's lacrosse and baseball teams both won the CAA championship;
- that President Rose will serve as chair of the Council of Presidents and as a member of the Higher Education Advisory Committee.
# # #