Welcome to The Institute for Visual Studies
The Institute for Visual Studies (IVS) at James Madison University is a center for scholarly, scientific and
creative inquiry into the nature and workings of images. An incubator of new ideas, the institute fosters discovery,
and the generation of artworks, products, and applications by multidisciplinary teams of students and faculty.
IVS is open Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm and by appointment. Please stop by.
- promote interdisciplinary research in the visual realm, enabling members of the university community from across all disciplines to collaborate on innovative projects
- function as both a laboratory and a studio, creating a unique teaching and learning environment
- develop and offer a series of multidisciplinary team-taught courses for highly motivated students
- provide a center for the investigation into the ways images work and for the exhibition of visual culture
- Please join us on Tuesday, April 29 from 4:30pm-6pm in Roop 208 for the viewing reception of The Actor and The Camera. This event will showcase projects from students in the IVS class The Actor and The Camera. In this class, actors learned the basics of video production, and video producers learned the basics of cinematic acting, with the expectation that each group learned from and contributed to the success of the other. All are welcome, refreshments will be served.
- In case you missed the Terry Brino-Dean colloquium, here it is:
- If you would like to see some of the past IVS Colloquia, click here to view the archive and watch some of your favorites.
- IVS has a new Facebook page! Please click here to like our page and receive regular updates on events and projects.