Welcome to The Institute for Visual Studies
The Institute for Visual Studies (IVS) at James Madison University is a center for scholarly, scientific and
creative inquiry into the nature and workings of images. An incubator of new ideas, the institute fosters discovery,
and the generation of artworks, products, and applications by multidisciplinary teams of students and faculty.
IVS is open Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm and by appointment. Please stop by.
- promote interdisciplinary research in the visual realm, enabling members of the university community from across all disciplines to collaborate on innovative projects
- function as both a laboratory and a studio, creating a unique teaching and learning environment
- develop and offer a series of multidisciplinary team-taught courses for highly motivated students
- provide a center for the investigation into the ways images work and for the exhibition of visual culture
- The second of three spring colloquia at the Institute for Visual Studies will take place on Wednesday, March 19th from 12:00-1:00 in Roop 208. Dr. Grace Wyngaard (Biology) will present Science through Illustration: Using Art to Reveal the Complexities of Biological Models. Dr. Wyngaard will explore the ways in which artists and computer scientists might effectively depict complex or obscure biological phenomena. Bring your lunch; dessert and coffee will be served. All are welcome.
- The exhibition What Was Lost: Urban Renewal in 1960s Harrisonburg is now on view. This exhibition examines the social, racial, and political implications of the R-16 urban renewal project in Harrisonburg. The photographs exhibited are from an album discovered at the Harrisonburg Redevelopment and Housing Authority and document the buildings that were destroyed in that project. For questions or to schedule a guided tour, please call 540-568-5656 or write email@example.com.
- In case you missed the Terry Brino-Dean colloquium, here it is:
- If you would like to see some of the past IVS Colloquia, click here to view the archive and watch some of your favorites.
- IVS has a new Facebook page! Please click here to like our page and receive regular updates on events and projects.