IVS Exhibition Openings (Tuesdays at 11):
Artists Books Today
September 10-November 8
- This exhibition of contemporary artists’ books includes works from Carrier Library’s Special Collections, and several lent by private collectors. Created over the past two decades, many of these works were published by the Women’s Studio Workshop.
Words and Pictures
December 3-December 20
- This exhibition presents the students' semester projects from the IVS “Writing and Illustrating Literature course” in which student writers and illustrators collaborated to create graphic novels, children's books, comics, and text art.
IVS Colloquia (Wednesdays at 12):
September 18- Jun Bum Shin (Interactive Media)
- Embracing Interactivity
- Jun Bum Shin (Interactive Media) will discuss his own work, which emphasizes the importance of interactive visual communication in everyday life, and demonstrates the incorporation of audience response in graphic design.
October 16- Dawn McCusker (Graphic Design)
- Revival of the Fittest: Letterpress and Book Arts in the 21st Century
- Dawn McCusker will discuss the development of the letterpress printing and book arts curriculum at JMU. Her presentation will explore possible reasons for the resurgence of these art and design forms, as well as the importance of technology in a centuries’ old process. Finally, she will discuss the creation of a multidisciplinary center for book arts at the university.
November 20- Zack Bortolot (Geographic Science)
- Enhancing the View from Above: Colorizing Historic Aerial Photographs
- Zack Bortolot will discuss his technique for realistically colorizing black and white aerial photographs by combining tone information from historical photos with color information obtained from modern color images.
archive of events