Students who have transferred to JMU as second semester freshmen or first semester sophomores are encouraged to apply to the Honors Program. Those admitted will enter as Track II Honors Scholars. Honors coursework undertaken at a previous institution may in some instances be accepted to fulfill JMU Honors requirements.
Applications for admission to the Honors Program as a JMU transfer student are accepted on a rolling basis. There is no deadline. Applicants should wait to apply to Honors until AFTER being admitted to JMU.
Transfer students are admitted on the basis of grades from previous institution(s) and strength of application essay. Transfer students typically have a cumulative GPA above 3.7 at all previous institions, but there is no minimum cumulative GPA required. Those admitted will enter as Track II Honors Scholars. Honors coursework undertaken at a previous institution may in some instances be accepted to fulfill JMU Honors requirements.
In most cases, the length of study required for students to complete the Track II Honors curriculum is at least 5 semesters at JMU. Students who anticipate graduating in fewer semesters should explain in the optional "additional information" section of the application how they expect to complete their Honors coursework within their anticipated timeframe. Contact the Honors Advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance in planning and projecting time to degree.
How to Apply
Submit the Honors Transfer Application after receiving admission to JMU. Upon submission of the Honors Transfer Application, applicants should send unofficial copies of all college-level transcripts to email@example.com. Applicants who are enrolled at another institution at the time of application may be provisionally admitted to Honors, pending successful completion of coursework at the end of the semester. An updated transcript should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org when available.
For more information on transfer admissions to the Honors Program, please contact email@example.com. For information on transfer admissions to JMU, please visit http://www.jmu.edu/admissions/apply/transfer.shtml
Northern Virginia Community College
Students in the Honors Program at Northern Virginia Community College may transfer directly into the JMU Honors Program as Track II Honors Scholars, due to a special arrangement between the two institutions.
To be eligible for admission into the JMU Honors Program as a Track II Honors Scholar, NOVA students must:
- Complete an Associate of Arts (AA) or a transfer-oriented Associate of Science (AS) Degree at NOVA. The AS in General Studies is not considered a transfer-oriented degree.
- Complete the NOVA Honors Core curriculum of 18-21 credits and be in the Honors Program at NOVA.
- Present a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.50 (4.0 scale) upon application to JMU and upon graduation from NOVA.
- If a student has attended multiple institutions, they must have earned a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.50 on a 4.0 scale at NOVA and all previous institutions.
- All work attempted at NOVA and any other institution(s) attended will be included in the GPA considered by JMU. The only exception is that, in compliance with JMU policy, a student is allowed to repeat up to two different courses where the initial grade earned will not be included in the grade point average calculation. A student who has repeated more than two courses is not eligible to apply to JMU through the Guaranteed Admission Agreement but is eligible to apply through the traditional transfer admissions process.
- Eligible transfer students must provide transcripts from all institutions attended.
- JMU will evaluate credit granted by Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and Cambridge International examinations for possible credit; such credit will be granted only if examination scores meet established JMU criteria in place at the time the student enrolls. JMU does not evaluate, or grant credit for, College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations.
- Be admitted to JMU.
- Complete a separate application to the JMU Honors Program.
- JMU Honors will recognize 12 Honors credits completed at NOVA and apply them as 12 credit hours of electives in Honors courses at JMU.
- NOVA transfer candidates in Honors Track II must complete 12 additional hours at JMU, including 6 hours of Honors seminars and a 6-hour senior Honors project.
- If any of the requirements imposed on JMU Honors Track II students are modified subsequent to the signing of this MOU, NOVA transfer students will be held to the revised requirements. Any NOVA transfer student accepted into the JMU Honors Program under this agreement shall be bound by the requirements in effect at the time of acceptance.
- Students who did not complete the NOVA Honors curriculum may still be admitted to JMU Honors on a case-by-case basis.
NOVA transfer students who are admitted to JMU Track II Honors will be eligible for the following:
- Graduation as Honors Scholars
- Honors distinction on students' transcript
- Participation in all JMU Honors activities, events, organizations
- Residence in upper-class housing (as available under JMU Office of Residence Life transfer housing contract)
- Priority registration
- Extended library checkout periods
- Access to the Honors computer lab and lounge in Hillcrest House.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.