Current JMU Students
Currently enrolled students at JMU who demonstrate academic excellence in their coursework may participate in one of two Honors Program tracks:
- Track II Honors Scholars: For current JMU students in their freshman and sophomore years. Requires the completion of 18 hours of Honors coursework in addition to the Senior Honors Project. Track II students will have the designation of Honors Scholar included on their transcripts and diplomas, as well as the indication of graduation With Distinction in their major. In addition, the Honors Program gives each Honors graduate a medallion to wear at graduation.
- Track III Senior Honors Project: For current JMU students in their junior year. Requires the completion of a Senior Honors Project only. Track III students receive the indication of graduation With Distinction in their major.
Both tracks are designed to prepare students for graduate or professional school, enhance students' opportunities for rewarding careers and expand students' knowledge of themselves, others, and the world.
Current JMU students who have completed one to three semesters at JMU with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher are eligible to apply for Track II Honors. Track II students take 24 credit hours of Honors seminars, courses designated Honors and/or Honors options, and complete a Senior Honors Project. They must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25. Students who successfully complete this program graduate With Distinction and are designated Honors Scholar in the commencement program and on their transcripts and diplomas.
The criteria for selection include:
- Grade point average at JMU of at least 3.5
- In between first and third semester at JMU
- Goal Statement: An essay of 200-300 words in which you discuss your educational and career goals and how being in the Honors Program at JMU may assist you in accomplishing those goals
After applications are reviewed, students will be notified of the decision. Spaces in the program are not limited. All qualified applicants are admitted. Applications submitted and accepted by the end of the second week of classes allow students to exercise the Honors option in one or more classes that same semester and to enjoy priority registration for the following semester. Applications submitted after the deadline will be held until the first day of open registration.
How to Apply
- Submit Honors Program Application by the end of the first week of classes.
Current JMU students who are not in Tracks I or II but would like to pursue independent research leading to the completion of the Senior Honors Project are eligible to enter the program through Track III. The final product will reflect substantial scholarship or creative work that demonstrates originality and craftsmanship. The Senior Honors Project allows students with initiative, originality and intellectual maturity to synthesize information they have learned in courses with their independent study of a topic of their choice. Students have the rare opportunity of working in close association with an advising professor who becomes a mentor in the finest sense of the word and with other professors who read and evaluate the project at all stages of its development. A degree With Distinction in the major field is awarded to students completing this project with a grade of B or better.
Admission to Track III is open to those juniors, including transfer students, with at least a cumulative GPA of 3.5 who give sufficient evidence of initiative, originality and intellectual maturity to warrant the expectation of distinction in the program. The minimum 3.25 GPA must be maintained through graduation to remain in good standing in the Honors Program. Failure to meet these standards or violation of the University Honors Code will be grounds for probation or dismissal.
How to Apply
- Register for 499A in the second semester of the junior year through the department of your major. Contact your departmental Honors Liaison for details.
- Identify faculty advisor and two readers.
- Submit to the Honors Program office a Senior Honors Project Application and Proposal, with requisite signatures, by the stated deadline.