Current High School Students
2014 Application Deadlines
Early Action: November 30, 2013
Early Action: early February
Approximately 200 high-achieving entering first-year students are admitted as Track I Honors Scholars each year. These students participate in four years of Honors study in any major offered at the university. They take a core of General Education courses that are designated Honors; select additional Honors courses, Honors seminars and Honors option courses; and complete a Senior Honors Project. Track I Honors Scholars are required to complete 27 credit hours of Honors work and maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.25. Students who successfully complete the program graduate With Distinction and are designated Honors Scholars in the commencement program and on their transcripts and diplomas, in recognition of their distinguished record in the program.
The entering class is limited to approximately 200 students. Admissions decisions are based on the following criteria:
- High school grades
- Standardized test scores
- Extracurricular activities
Most applicants will have:
- At least a 1280 combined reading/math SAT (or 30 ACT) AND
- All A’s (or mostly all A’s) in core courses, including honors and AP courses AND
- Significant extracurricular and leadership experiences
We may consider students who may fall short in ONE of these areas.
- Honors Early Action: November 30, 2013
- Honors Regular Decision: February 28, 2014 (extended from February 3)
All students may apply anytime through February 28. However, students who applied to JMU through the JMU Early Action process have the option to apply to the Honors Program through the Honors Early Action process by submitting your application on or before November 30. Early Action applicants who applied to the Honors Program after November 30 will be considered for Honors Regular Decision. Applications must be received and transcripts must be postmarked (if mailed) by these dates for applications to be considered. Honors Early Action applicants whose transcripts are received after the November 30 deadline will be deferred to Honors Regular Decision.
Honors Early Action applicants do not have an advantage over Honors Regular Decision applicants in the selection process. Additionally, some Honors Early Action applications may be deferred to Honors Regular Decision. Decisions made by the Honors Program have absolutely no bearing on decisions made by the JMU Office of Admissions.
Every applicant will receive a decision letter mailed to their home address. Decisions will not be disclosed via e-mail or telephone.
Honors Early Action Applicants:
- Decisions will be available online in early February.
- Student must have applied to JMU through the Early Action process AND applied to the Honors Program by November 30.
- If an Honors Early Action applicant is deferred by the JMU Admissions Office, the Honors decision will be deferred to Regular Decision.
Honors Regular Decision Applicants:
- Decisions will be available online in mid-April.
- Student must have applied to the Honors Program by February 28.