How to Apply
2014 Application Deadlines
Early Action: November 30, 2013
Regular Decision: February 3, 2014
Applying to the Honors Program as an incoming freshman, Track I Honors Scholar involves the following steps:
1) JMU Application & Honors Program Application
- You must first apply to JMU before applying to the Honors Program. After submitting your JMU application, you can access the Honors Program Application by using the same User-ID and password that you used on your JMU application.
- Do not wait to receive your decision from JMU before applying to the Honors Program. You can apply anytime until the February 3 deadline.
2) Test scores
- SAT I and/or ACT scores should be entered in the designated field on the Honors Program Application. Official test scores are not required to be sent to the Honors Program office separately.
- Recommendation letters, resumes, mid-term grades, Secondary School Reports, AP scores, and SAT II scores are not required. The application provides a place to list your activities, honors, awards, and distinctions.
3) Essay Questions
- The application includes two essay questions. Your responses should be in your own words and each response should be at least 200 (but not more than 400) words. Your responses should help us understand you and should demonstrate that you understand what the Honors Program at JMU is about.
Essay Question #1: Based upon your understanding of the JMU Honors Program, what kind of student do you think the program is or should be looking for and why do you think you are that kind of student?
Essay Question #2: Based upon your understanding of the JMU Honors Program, how do you think participation in the program will enhance your college experience and help you move toward your longer-term goals?
4) Send unofficial transcripts
- Send an unofficial transcript to the Honors Program. Your application cannot be considered without this transcript. We do not have access to the transcript you sent to the JMU Admissions Office.
- Unofficial transcripts can be sent via any of the following methods:
Fax: (540) 568-8079
Mail: JMU Honors Program, 251 Warren Service Drive, MSC 1501, Harrisonburg, VA 22807
If you have read the instructions above and understand that a transcript must be submitted directly to the Honors Program office by the posted deadlines, you are ready to apply.
If you have additional questions after reading the information provided, call (540) 568-7728 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unable to login to the Honors Program application, please send an e-mail to email@example.com explaining the error message. Be sure to include your full name and that you are applying to the JMU Honors Program.