Care is available for students who have urgent medical needs. No appointment is necessary for Urgent Care services. Examples of urgent medical needs include:
- Minor fractures
- Acute allergic reactions
- Urinary tract infection (Please note we only treat females in Urgent Care for this condition. If other women's health issues are occurring please make an appointment with our Women's Health Clinic for comprehensive care.)
- Ingrown nails (Please note that due to limited treatment availability for this service, students are encouraged to call ahead to ensure timely care.)
Urgent Care hours are Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.; Tuesdays and Thursdays 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.
The Urgent Care entrance is externally located on corner of the Student Success Center at the intersection of Mason Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Way.
Note: There is NO emergency room facility in the University Health Center. In the event of a life-threatening emergency call 540-568-6911 from on-campus or 911 from off-campus.
We will do our best to meet your urgent care needs; however, if you are in need of more assistance than what the University Health Center can offer you, we can refer you to a specialist in the area.
If you need urgent care, and it is after our normal business hours, visit one of the following healthcare centers in Harrisonburg:
Location and entrances
The University Health Center is located in the Student Success Center at 724 South Mason Street at the corner of Mason Street and Martin Luther King, Jr. Way. Please check-in 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
General Medicine entrance - located on the second floor of the Student Success Center, services include:
- General Medicine appointments for routine and preventative care
- Allergy Clinic
- International Travel Clinic
- STD/STI Testing
- Women's Health Clinic
Urgent Care entrance - external entrance at the corner of Mason Street and Martin Luther King, Jr. Way, services include:
- Urgent Care
- Lab Services
- Nutrition Services
- Sentara RMH Orthopedics and Sports Medicine
- Sentara RMH X-Ray Services
Parking, drop-off circle, bus stops and bike racks
Students visiting the Health Center are eligible to receive a code for free parking in the Pay-By-Space area on the ground floor of the Grace Street Parking Deck. To obtain the code, call 540-568-6178 when you have a health center appointment. Students may also park in other nearby lots in accordance with normal parking regulations.
Bus stop locations near the Health Center include Miller Hall, the Student Success Center, and the intersection of Mason Street and Martin Luther King, Jr. Way.
A drop-off circle is located in front of the Health Center entrance, accessible from Mason Street; vehicles may not be left unattended in the drop-off circle.
Bike racks are located at the Urgent Care entrance and both Student Success Center entrances.
What to bring
- List of medicines you are currently taking
The UHC currently does not accept any insurance as a form of payment. If there is a charge for any service rendered, the student is responsible for payment at the time of service.
Fees for your visit
There is no fee to see a UHC provider. Services such as lab tests, vaccines, allergy injections, and international travel consultations do have fees. Late arrival to appointment, no-show, or less than one-hour cancellation notice will be subject to a fee. Here is a list of all our services that include a fee.
- Check (made payable to JMU)
- Declining balance on JACard (usually referred to as FLEX)
- Discover, MasterCard, or Visa credit card in your name
- Flexible Spending Account Cards (health flex benefits card)
- Android Pay
- Apple Pay
The University Health Center strives to make its programs and services as accessible and inclusive as possible. Please let a staff member know if accommodations are needed or if the University Health Center is difficult to access for any reason.