Immunization/TB Screening Form and Medical Records

Medications, Prescriptions, and the UHC Pharmacy

Services and Access to Care


Immunization/TB Screening Form and Medical Records

If the Immunization Form is submitted late, what happens?

A hold and a $50 fine may be placed on any student account who is missing all or part of the required immunizations and TB Screening prior to move-in day. This means they will not be able to add any classes to their schedule and they will have to pay a $50 fee to the University Business Office (located on the 5th floor of the Student Success Center).

When will holds and fines appear?

They will go on prior to move-in day. All communication will be with the student directly through secure messaging on MyJMUHealth regarding completeness of their record.

What is considered an official immunization record?

An official immunization record may be any of the following as long as it contains the same immunizations required by the University Health Center:

  • Printout from a medical provider

  • High school immunization records

  • Immunization records from previously attended colleges and universities

  • Military immunization records

  • International official immunization book "yellow book"

Where can a student get their immunizations?

  • Medical provider's office

  • Most urgent care centers

  • Health departments

  • Some pharmacies

Starting move-in day incoming first-year students living on-campus may schedule an appointment with the University Health Center to receive immunizations.

What if a student cannot get a physical until after the deadline for the Immunization Form, what should they do?

We do not require a physical, only documentation of the required immunizations and a TB Screening. We will accept other official immunization records from schools or medical providers. All required immunizations must be listed and up to date, including the TB Screening.

Is there a waiver for parents/families to have access to their student's medical records?

We are unable to grant blanket access to a student’s medical records. Each time a student visits the UHC, they are asked if they give permission for our patient advocate to discuss the details of their appointment with their parents/families/other specified individuals. It is up to the student to decide who has access to their medical records. This is consistent with federal security and privacy regulations.

Medications, Prescriptions, and the UHC Pharmacy

Will your pharmacy fill prescriptions from a home medical provider?

No, at this time our pharmacy only fills prescriptions when written by an on-campus provider. The UHC pharmacy does not carry scheduled substances (such as Adderall).

Can students refill a prescription at your pharmacy?

Only prescriptions written by on-campus medical providers (UHC, Athletics and Counseling Center) may be filled at our pharmacy.

What should a student do about obtaining their prescription medications?

Talk with their local medical provider about a plan for the time they are at school. Parents/families may need to mail the medication if they do not plan on seeing their student for some time.

If a student is on prescribed medications, will you keep them at the UHC or do they have lock boxes in the residence halls?

Students are responsible for keeping their own medications. We recommend they bring a lock box with them if they are on medications that could be abused (including scheduled substances such as Adderall).

Where can a student get ADHD medication?

There are a few options for students to obtain their ADHD medication since our pharmacy does not dispense scheduled substances:

  • The student may take their written prescription to a local pharmacy.  There are some in walking distance to the university, or on the bus route.

  • Parents/Families may choose to send the written prescription or medication directly to the student.

  • If a student needs to be prescribed ADHD medication, we recommend having your local medical provider refer them to someone in the Harrisonburg area.  You may call Sentara RMH for a physician referral at 1-800-SENTARA or visit their Find a Doctor site.

Where can a student get birth control pills?

Students can make an appointment in our Women’s Health Clinic to receive a prescription for birth control pills. We carry several brands at minimal cost in our pharmacy. If a student would like a brand that we do not carry, we can write a prescription to be filled at a local pharmacy.

If a student is currently on birth control pills from their local medical provider, they cannot transfer their prescription to our pharmacy. We recommend that they have their prescription transferred and filled at a local pharmacy, or have the birth control pills mailed to them from home if they choose not to visit our Women’s Health Clinic.

Services and Access to Care

What does a student do if they get sick?

Learning to implement self-care is an important part of being a responsible health care consumer and understanding when it’s appropriate to seek medical care. We strongly encourage students to utilize our available self-care resources; these resources are for self-limited illnesses (conditions that are healed by the body’s immune system and can be treated at home without seeing a medical provider). 

Students may make an appointment at the UHC for general and routine care online through MyJMUHealth. If a student is experiencing an urgent medical need they may come to our Urgent Care.

How many medical providers are on staff?

We have seven full-time medical providers on staff: three physicians, three nurse practitioners and one physician assistant. In addition, we have six full-time registered nurses, a full-time pharmacist, a part-time registered dietician and several part-time medical providers.

What if a student isn't sure if they need to make an appointment to see a medical provider?

We provide a Talk To A Nurse option during regular business hours. Students will speak with a Registered Nurse to help determine the best course of care for a medical problem.

What if a student needs to see a medical provider when you are not open?

We suggest utilizing one of our local urgent care centers, or the Sentara RMH Emergency Department.

Most insurance providers have 24-hour nurse advice lines; we encourage students to utilize this option if it is available through their insurance.

If a student will not have a car, do you provide transportation?

We do not provide transportation. We suggest students utilize the local bus transit system, ask friends for rides or carry cash to call a cab.

If a student is hospitalized, how will their parents/families be notified?

If a student is hospitalized and able to communicate with hospital staff, then the student determines who is notified and has access to their medical information.

If a student is hospitalized and unable to communicate with hospital staff then the hospital will contact the JMU Police Department. The JMU Police Department will find out the identity of the student and contact their parents/family.

Can students get their lab work done at the UHC?

Yes, students can upload their orders onto MyJMUHealth. Once uploaded students must call to verify test availability, determine cost and make an appointment to have the lab work done. All results will be sent to the ordering medical provider.

Do you offer flu shots for students?

Absolutely! We host a two day flu vaccine clinic in October. We contract with a third party to administer flu shots, and they accept a variety of insurances (students will also receive a receipt to submit for potential health insurance reimbursement; it is important to keep the receipt). Students will receive an email with this information in advance.

Do you administer allergy shots?

Yes, read more about our Allergy Clinic.

We have an allergy serum drop-off for incoming first-year students during move-in on August 22 between 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and August 23 between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Students may bring their allergy serum to the General Medicine entrance of the University Health Center, located on the second floor of the Student Success Center.  Students are asked to provide orders from their home medical provider along with their telephone and fax number in case they need to be reached for questions.

Parents, family members and guardians are welcome to accompany students when they bring their allergy serum to the health center.

Allergy injections will not be given during the week of move-in.

If a student has a life-threatening allergy, what do they need to do?

We recommend that students do the following:

  • Carry their self-administered epinephrine (if they have one)

  • Contact the Office of Disability Services for appropriate accommodations

  • If the allergy is food related, visit to complete an action plan

  • Wear a medical alert bracelet or necklace

  • Complete their brief health history on MyJMUHealth

If a student has a chronic condition (Diabetes, Crohn's, etc.) can you be their health care provider and help them manage their condition?

We are able to manage routine illness and injury regardless of chronic conditions. However, if the chronic condition complicates the situation, a student may need to consult with specialist in the community; we can help make the referral. 

We recommend being knowledgeable about local specialists and having a referral made in advance from your local medical provider in the event that a student needs to be seen immediately for their chronic condition. You may call Sentara RMH for a physician referral at 1-800-SENTARA or visit their Find a Doctor site.

We have a Registered Dietician on staff to help students manage chronic conditions that require nutritional attention. The Office of Disability Services is a resource for academic accommodations, and the Office of Residence Life is a resource for housing accommodations.

If a student has depression or anxiety, do you treat that?

The Counseling Center has a variety of services available to help with mental health.


Do you bill insurance?

No, but there is no fee to see a UHC medical provider. Some of our services have nominal fees, but generally our costs are kept to a minimum. Students may access their receipts for possible health insurance reimbursement via their MyJMUHealth secure portal (reimbursement varies, contact your health insurance carrier to determine what is covered).

Students are expected to pay any incurred costs at the time of their visit.  We accept:

  • Cash

  • Check (made payable to JMU)

  • FLEX (on the JACard)

  • Discover, MasterCard, or Visa credit card in your name

  • Flexible Spending Account Cards (health flex benefits card)

  • Android Pay

  • Apple Pay

If you don't bill insurance, why does a student have to upload a copy of their health insurance card to MyJMUHealth?

We strongly suggest that students upload their insurance cards onto MyJMUHealth as well as have a copy with them. This is needed in the event they would have to go to the emergency department or if we help refer them to a specialist.

Back to Top