Dukes Step Up!
The University Health Center is seeking dynamic, energetic student leaders!
Background: Students are often faced with situations where they can help – a friend, a peer, a teammate, a group member, or a complete stranger - in a social situation. Unfortunately we often lack the knowledge and skills to be able to step up when the time is right. We want YOU to teach the incoming class of 2020 how to do this!
Job Description: We are seeking facilitators for the Dukes Step Up! program that will run during orientation week this fall. You will be specially trained to co-facilitate a 75-minute, interactive program with FROG groups on-campus. The goal of this program is to encourage fellow students to become more aware of their surroundings, and to develop the skills necessary to intervene in situations involving hazing, intimate partner violence, or alcohol before they become emergencies.
Qualifications: To be eligible for this position, students must:
- Have comfort speaking in front of a large group (up to 40 participants).
- Possess an energetic, dynamic personality with the ability to work with diverse personalities in a training setting.
- Be in Harrisonburg and FULLY available for training August 23 and 24 (12:30pm-7:00pm both days), and for program delivery August 25 (11:00am - 9:30pm).
- Please note that students who will be living on campus will be able to move into their residence halls early.
- For students who are living off-campus, we can work with you on accommodations for early move-in.
Compensation: You will also receive a $100 stipend for your time. Students will also receive a Dukes Step Up! t-shirt, catered meals for fall training, other incentives, and will be qualified to facilitate future Dukes Step Up! programs throughout the school year.
Next Steps: Attend an interest session on one of the following dates to learn more and complete an application:
- Wed., April 13 at 10 a.m.
- Thurs., April 14 at 1 p.m.
- Fri., April 15 at 2 p.m.
- Mon., April 18 at noon
- Tues., April 19 at 2 p.m.
- Wed., April 20 at 4 p.m.
- Thurs., April 21 at noon
- Fri., April 22 at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Interest sessions will be held in The Well, located on the first floor of the Student Success Center.
Questions? Contact Tia Mann.
The goals of Dukes Step Up! are to:
Raise awareness of helping behaviors
Increase motivation to help
Learn strategies for effective helping
Develop confidence when responding to problems or concerns
Ensure the safety and well-being of self and others