Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Cultures


A two-year foreign language requirement for a B.A. program may be safisfied if you place into the 300 level of a language AND confirm the score. To confirm the score you will need to either enroll in the 300 class OR retake the FLPE in the Language Resource Center (Keezell 103) to confim your 300 placement. If you go to confirm your placement and do not place into 300 again, you must take the 232 class to satisfy your two-year B.A. foreign language requirement.


Foreign Language Placement Exams
Please follow these instructions to get started.

Honor Code
When taking the exam, you are bound by the JMU Honor Code.
You may not use outside sources (e.g. dictionaries, other web pages, textbooks or other books) and you may not receive assistance from another person. These actions are violations of the JMU Honor Code and may place you at an inappropriate level.

Take the exam once.
Only take an exam for a given language once every three semesters.
Do NOT retake the exam right away. It will not help you in any way.

You will need your nine-digit JMU ID number to register for the exam.
You MUST enter your correct nine-digit JMU ID number in order for your exam to be recorded.
You can find your JMU student ID number on MyMadison.

I understand, I have my JMU ID number,
and am ready to take the Foreign Language Placement Exam.

(You will need to log into the instructions with your JMU E-ID and password.)


Stephany Plecker
Director,Language Learning Center
James Madison University
Keezell Hall, Room 301, MSC 1802
Phone: (540) 568-3578
Fax: (540) 568-6904
Last Modified: 2/14/2013
Privacy Statement