A-to-Z Index

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Graduate Students Receiving Financial Aid

All graduate students must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements to receive financial aid at James Madison University. Federal regulations require each institution to have a SAP policy, which establishes the minimum standards that must be applied consistently to all students. You will be denied financial aid if you fail to meet SAP requirements. If extenuating circumstances led to your noncompliance, you may submit an appeal to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for consideration.

Students who wish to appeal must do so by a prescribed deadline.

2015-16 Appeal Deadlines
•  Summer 2015 – Monday, June 29, 2015
•  Fall 2015 – Monday, September 14, 2015
•  Spring 2016 – Monday, January 25, 2016

Explanation of Requirements

The university measures your academic performance based on three standards: grade point average (GPA), pace and maximum time. See below for a detailed description.

Grade Point Average: A student cannot graduate with a GPA below 3.0. You will be dismissed from the degree program if you receive an "F" or "U" in any graduate course or a total of three "C" grades in your graduate program. In addition, you will receive a notice of academic warning upon receiving a grade of "C" in any two graduate courses or if your GPA falls below 3.0. (Monitored by: The Graduate School)

Pace: You must earn at least 80% of your attempted hours. This calculation is performed by dividing the number of credit hours earned by the number of credit hours attempted. (Monitored by: Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships)

Maximum Time: You must complete all requirements of the graduate program and The Graduate School within six calendar years (masters and education specialist degrees) or eight years (doctoral degrees). All students enrolled in graduate degree programs must enroll each regular semester for a minimum of one graduate credit hour. (Monitored by: The Graduate School)

Explanation of Attempted Hours for Pace Calculation

In compliance with federal regulations, financial aid developed procedures for evaluating pace. In addition to the hours you completed for a letter grade, we will count the following types of credit.
•  Credit by examination (CR)
•  Transfer credit
•  Incomplete (I)
•  Withdrawal (W)
•  Withdrawal while passing (WP)
•  Withdrawal while failing (WF)
•  Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U)
•  Repeat

Non-credit (NC) or audited (AU) courses do not count toward the calculation of attempted hours.

Review your transcript on MyMadison to determine your academic progress.

It is your responsibility to be aware of SAP requirements.

Contact us at finaid_sap@jmu.edu if you have any questions.