GWRIT 102H--Fall 2001 Dr. Janette Martin
Paper #3--Research Project
Objective: This paper, worth 30% of the course grade, will be a Rogerian argument in a researched form. The objective is to use all of the skills we've worked on so far in the argument analysis paper and the unresearched Rogerian argument, including establishing a qualified claim and developing and supporting it through strong evidence. We'll add evidence from selected sources to this paper's argument. Reading critically, summarizing sources' ideas, selecting relevant quotations, synthesizing sources' ideas with our own, and following MLA conventions for documentation are part of the work for this project.
· The paper will be 1500-2000 words in length (about 6-8 pages).
· The argument is thesis driven, and is Rogerian (includes the
· Argument strategies (evidence) provide support for and develop
· As sources, include 2 books, 2 scholarly journals, and at least
2 more sources (=minimum 6).
· Quotations "fit" well and either support the writer's
position or the opposition's arguments. Quotations add quality to the
argument; they help move the argument ahead.
· Use MLA style in-text documentation (see Everyday Writer--MLA
· An MLA style Works Cited is included at the end of the paper.
· Style has been considered in the final--sentence structure and variety, word choice, verb choice, tone, diction, etc.
Evaluation will be based on the following:
· Exceptional · Good · Competent
· The thesis (claim) is clear, well qualified and all parts of
the paper develop or support the thesis