Commencement Volunteers WANTED!!
The Office of University Events is looking for volunteers to be part of “JMU’s 2015 Commencement Crew.” The volunteers will assist graduates, family members, guests and the University Events staff. Help University Events make a difference in the lives of our soon-to-be alumni and their very excited families! You are the best people for this job since you know JMU and why it’s a great place!
Volunteers are needed to assist with all the logistics on both Friday, May 8 and Saturday, May 9. All those volunteering on Friday, May 8 will be able to use the recognition leave on another day, in coordination with your supervisor. For more information on recognition leave for faculty and staff please review the information provided by Human Resources.
Friday, May 8th
Crew Member Tasks:
- Program Distribution – Hand out event programs to guests as they enter Bridgeforth Stadium.
- Greeter – Meet families and guests as they approach the stadium by foot, bus or shuttle and direct them to the appropriate entrances.
- Student Services – Guide graduates into the gathering area prior to the ceremony, assist with straightening caps, gowns and stoles.
- Guest Usher – Answer general questions (restrooms/concessions, first aid, etc.).
- Disability Services – Help guests with physical limitations and/or disabilities. This includes directing guests to the elevator, assisting guests off the shuttle buses and assist at the AD shuttle drop-off point.
- Faculty Services – Assist participating faculty locate their gathering area and line up faculty for the procession.
- Celebration Hosts – Assist at the Godwin Field Celebration following the university ceremony to help families find their way into the event or direct them to the buses, or their cars when they depart.
Time Commitment for Friday:
- Crew Member Time commitment: 1-5 p.m. (4 hours)
- The ceremony begins at 3 p.m., and is expected to last 60-75 minutes. Crew members need to be at the stadium for a briefing and distribution of materials at 1:00 p.m. Stadium gates open at 1:30 p.m.
- Celebration Host Time commitment: 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. (2 hours)
- Celebration Host will report to Godwin field following the ceremony, the celebration is expected to begin at 4:15/4:40 and end at 6 p.m.
Details and Benefits:
- Reserved parking near the stadium or free shuttle service.
- information packet provided by University Events
- Leave time credited to My Madison through Human Resources (please note those volunteering on Friday, May 8 will be able to use their recognition leave on another day with approval from your supervisor).
- Two Commencement Crew sessions will be held. Volunteers are required to attend one of the sessions. Dates, times and locations to be determined.
- Please wear white, khaki or black pants/skirt and comfortable shoes. Each volunteer will receive a JMU Commencement Crew t-shirt at the training session to wear during the ceremonies.
Saturday, May 9th
Crew Member Tasks:
- 'Maddy Movers' Bus Hosts – you’ll be the first JMU face they will see that morning!
- For this position you will need to be a morning person, be able to announce which colleges are at which bus stops, and to remind guests what color bus they are on so they get the same one for the return trip! Buses will be operating on routes throughout the city, local hotels and student off-campus apartments complexes and stop on campus at Festival, Godwin Transit Center, and Miller Hall.
- Greeter – placed at strategic areas around campus to be a smiling face to guests and graduates, and guide them to their ceremony.
- You may also need to push along graduates if their ceremony is about to start. And assist guests who don't know which college corresponds to a certain major, or where a certain ceremony is being held. We will give you a map, a list of majors, and other FAQs!
Time Commitment for Saturday: College ceremonies begin at 9 a.m. sharp and last between 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Most volunteers will be needed from 7:30 - 11:30 a.m. Some will be asked to stay later dependent upon tasks assigned.
- 'Maddy Movers' Bus Hosts Time commitment: 7-11 a.m. (4 hours)
- Will receive a break once the ceremonies begin, then be ready for return trips off campus at 10:00 a.m.
- Greeter Time Commitment: 7:30-9:30 a.m. (2 hours)
- Be ready to answer questions and assist guests.
Details and Benefits:
- Reserved parking near your assignment or free shuttle service.
- Informational packet provided by University Events
- Discount at the JMU Bookstore
- Morning Refreshments
- Drawing for a $250 JMU Bookstore Gift Card ('Maddy Mover's' volunteers ONLY!)
- Drawing for a mini-iPad!!!
- (If the winners are JMU employees, the value of the prize will be reported to Payroll Services and that amount would be added to their gross pay for taxing purposes only.)
- Two Commencement Crew sessions will be held. Volunteers are required to attend one of the sessions.
- Tuesday, April 28 from 9-11 am
- Thursday, April 30 from 3-5 pm
Please note training will not take the entire 2 hours! We have alloted 2 hours to ensure volunteers adequate time to ask questions and obtain information.
- Wear white, khaki or black pants/skirt and comfortable shoes. Each volunteer will receive a JMU Commencement Crew t-shirt to wear during the ceremony.
All volunteers will receive confirmation and detailed information about their tasks prior to the Commencement ceremony. If you have a cell phone, please bring it along so we can reach you if needed.
Thanks so much for helping the Graduating class of 2015!!!