M.Ed. in K-8 Mathematics Specialist
The Master of Education program that leads to K-8 Mathematics Specialist endorsement begins Summer 2010. Mathematics Specialists are teacher leaders based in elementary and middle school settings who have strong preparation and background in mathematics and instructional strategies specific to grades K-8 and are prepared to serve in leadership roles. Mathematics specialists serve as resources for professional development for teachers, curriculum development and implementation, and parent and community education.
The program consists of 36 hours: 15 hours of coursework in mathematics education and 6 hours of an externship. It is a cohort program and restricted to 25 participants.
- 3 years teaching experience where mathematics was a primary responsibility
- 6 hours of mathematics courses (undergraduate and/or graduate)
- Complete the Praxis II for middle school math (test code 0069 if taken before 1 January 2014; test code 5169 if taken after 31 December 2013)
To Apply: Complete the online graduate admission application at the JMU Graduate School and submit the following items to Ann Wallace.
- 2 letters of recommendation
- personal statement indicating why you want to enroll in the program (2-3 pages)
Dr. Ann Wallace
K-8 Mathematics Specialist Program
College of Education
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807