Participating in On-Campus Recruiting
Please read all of the information provided below so that you will understand the process from start to finish.
How to Schedule a Visit
- Log into Recruit-A-Duke.
- You must register first if you do not already have a NACElink account.
- From the main menu, select the tab across the top of the page labeled On-Campus Recruiting (OCR)
- Under the schedules tab, click on Request A Schedule and fill out all of the required fields
- Note: Before requesting a schedule, please familiarize yourself with the differences in the On Campus Recruiting Models listed below
- Upon submitting your interview date request, a staff member will communicate with you regarding your desired interview date
Preselect: In this recruiting model, employers will have the opportunity to post their position on the system and, from the resumes that are received, select only the students that they wish to interview. Students that have been selected for interviews will sign up for an interview time on Recruit-A-Duke.
Preselect to Alternate: This model functions the same way as the preselect model but it also includes the option of selecting a few students as alternates. Students selected as alternates can sign up for interviews if there is still available space on your schedule.
We recommend this model in most cases.
Room Only: With the room only model, the employer holds the responsibility of generating their own interview schedules as we would be only issuing the use of the interview room itself.
For questions about the appropriate OCR model, please contact us at email@example.com.
Can't make it to campus but still want to interview JMU students? No problem! Find out how with Skype.
Driving Directions | Lodging | Lunch Arrangements
Additional Points to Consider
- Dates are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Try to schedule at least eight weeks in advance of your preferred date.
- Scheduling early will assist you in securing a date that is suitable to your recruiting itinerary and will ensure a sufficient number of interview rooms available to meet your needs. To plan your visit, see pertinent dates below.
Spring Recruiting Season: February 5th-April 12th
There will be no recruiting on these dates: February 12th (Assessment Day), February 19 (Day 1 of Career Fair), March 1-11 (Spring Break)
INCLEMENT WEATHER - EARLY CLOSING POLICY
- You may schedule your visit to accommodate as many students as you wish to interview.
- Space is allocated based on the number of "schedules" (interview rooms) you require.
- One schedule generally progresses from 8:30am to 4:15pm, allowing for twelve 30-minute interviews.
- Morning, lunch and afternoon breaks are included.
- If you prefer longer interviews, please let us know when scheduling and we will provide 45 minute or 1 hour interview slots.
- Please be aware that our recruiting facility closes daily at 5pm, so we ask that you conclude your interviews prior to 5pm.
What Type of Software is Used for Recruiting?
- Here at JMU, employers use the NACElink Network powered by Symplicity for position postings and interview signups.
- Using the site, students can view your company and position information, submit resumes to positions they are interested in, and later sign up for interviews.
- Using the site, employers can post job announcements, select students to interview, print resumes, and view/print interview schedules.
Tips for Success
Principles for Professional Conduct
Before Your Visit
- Promoting your Company
- If you're hosting an information session before the interviews, make it dynamic and interesting. Ask recent grads in your organization for their participation, feedback, and input.
- Consider having a general information session before the pre-select deadlines to help them decide if they want to interview.
- Email the students you've selected to interview and make personal contact with students whenever possible.
- Follow up promptly with students, throughout the hiring process.
- Communicate with the students who do not make it through the interview stage, so that they know their status and can improve in the future.
- Finally, please stay in touch with the students you have interviewed at JMU and with us. We value our partnerships and thank you for your interest in our students!
- If you have requirements concerning GPA, citizenship, open signups, or other criteria, be sure to let us know about it before the job is posted online.
- If you need assistance using Recruit-A-Duke, please let us know.
- A campus map, Harrisonburg accommodations and a "Your Day on Campus" email will be sent to you with your schedule confirmation information.
- A parking permit will be issued to you upon arrival the day of your interviews.
- All interviews are in the Sonner Interview Center on the lower level of Sonner Hall, which contains 11 interview rooms.
- Take exit 245 off I-81.
- If you’re traveling south on 81, turn right at the stoplight off the exit (Port Republic Road); the next right is the entrance to the university
- If you're traveling north on I-81, turn left at the stoplight off the exit (Port Republic Road), then right at the second light into the entrance of the university.
- Sonner Hall is the first building on the left beside the lake. Turn left and pull around the circle. Please come inside and pick up a parking pass for your interview date from the front desk.
- You may then park in the Recruiter spaces adjacent to Sonner Hall or if those are full, you may park in the Visitor spaces in P Lot across the street from Sonner Hall. Please refer to the campus map at www.jmu.edu/map for additional details.
Lunches will be provided in the Chandler Hall Dining Room or Sonner Hall Conference Room for employers who will be interviewing on campus that day. We need to make reservations no later than 3 days in advance. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the name(s) of the representatives from your organization to expect for lunch. We can accommodate lunches for a maximum of four representatives for each organization.
Representatives not participating in the luncheon may refer to our on campus and off campus facilities for lunch arrangement options. Menus are available online if you wish to order delivery during your lunch hour.
Making Adjustments to Your Visit
If you need to change a date or the number of schedules originally planned, please contact us at email@example.com.