BUILD YOUR BRAND
Interview JMU Students
Scheduling a Visit for On-Campus Recruiting
Please read all of the information provided below so that you will understand the process from start to finish.
- Log into Recruit-A-Duke. (You must register first if you do not already have a NACElink account.)
- From the main menu, select the tab across the top of the page labeled On-Campus Recruiting (OCR).
- Under the schedules tab, click on Request A Schedule and fill out all of the required fields
- Before requesting a schedule, please familiarize yourself with the differences in the On Campus Recruiting Models listed below:
- Preselect: In this recruiting model, employers will have the opportunity to post their position on the system and, from the resumes that are received, select only the students that they wish to interview. Students that have been selected for interviews will sign up for an interview time on Recruit-A-Duke.
- Preselect to Alternate: This model functions the same way as the preselect model but it also includes the option of selecting a few students as alternates. Students selected as alternates can sign up for interviews if there is still available space on your schedule. We recommend this model in most cases.
- Room Only: With the room only model, the employer holds the responsibility of generating their own interview schedules as we would be only issuing the use of the interview room itself.
- Open: The open model is primarily used for the Practice Interview Program or for scheduling employer office hours. It is structured so that any student may sign-up for available timeslots on the schedule. Since there is not an opportunity for employers to review candidates’ applications and invite selected candidates to interview, this OCR model is not recommended for conducting on campus interviews.
- Please provide interview schedules prior to or upon arrival. Interviews should begin no earlier than 8:00 am and end by 4:30 pm.
- Can't make it to campus but still want to interview JMU students? No problem! Contact us about interviewing JMU students via Skype.
Additional Points to Consider
- Dates are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Try to schedule at least four weeks in advance of your preferred date.
- Scheduling early will assist you in securing a date that is suitable to your recruiting itinerary and will ensure a sufficient number of interview rooms available to meet your needs. To plan your visit, see pertinent dates below.
- The Student No Show/Late Cancellation Policy will not apply to Room Only schedules, as employer-candidate correspondence is managed outside of the Recruit-A-Duke system and cannot be tracked and verified by our office justly in the event of a missed interview.
- Recruiting begins in September in the Fall and February in the Spring.
- There will be no recruiting on the following dates:
- Fall Career & Internship Fair (September/October)
- Assessment Day (February)
- Spring Career & Internship Fair (February)
- Teacher Recruitment Day (March)
- Spring Break (March)
- Inclement Weather policy:
- When the university is closed due to inclement weather or other circumstances related to student and staff safety, on-campus interviews and programs with visiting employers will be cancelled.
- If there is a delayed opening, then interviews will begin at the time the university is open.
- For those interviews that are cancelled, every effort will be made to establish alternative arrangements working with both employers and students.
- University Closings and Delayed Openings Information can be obtained by calling 540-433-5300 or by visiting www.jmu.edu for an update.
- You may schedule your visit to accommodate as many students as you wish to interview.
- Space is allocated based on the number of "schedules" (interview rooms) you require.
- One schedule generally progresses from 8:30am to 4:15pm, allowing for twelve 30-minute interviews.
- Morning, lunch and afternoon breaks are included.
- If you prefer longer interview scheduling is available for 45 minute or 1 hour interview slots.
- Please be aware that our recruiting facility closes daily at 5pm, so we ask that you conclude your interviews prior to 5pm.
Software used for Recruiting
- Employers use the NACElink Network powered by Symplicity for position postings and interview signups.
- Using the site, students can view your company and position information, submit resumes to positions they are interested in, and later sign up for interviews.
- Using the site, employers can post job announcements, select students to interview, print resumes, and view/print interview schedules.
Tips for Success
- Promoting your Company
- If you're hosting an information session before the interviews, make it dynamic and interesting. Ask recent grads in your organization for their participation, feedback, and input.
- Consider having a general information session before the pre-select deadlines to help them decide if they want to interview.
- Email the students you've selected to interview and make personal contact with students whenever possible.
- Follow up promptly with students, throughout the hiring process.
- Communicate with the students who do not make it through the interview stage, so that they know their status and can improve in the future.
- Finally, please stay in touch with the students you have interviewed at JMU and with us. We value our partnerships and thank you for your interest in our students!
Principles for Professional Conduct
- Please see our Recruiting Policies page.
Before Your Visit
Please review our Employer Welcome Guide for the following information:
- An introduction to our new Interview Center in the Student Success Center
- Driving and parking instructions for On-Campus Recruiting
- Parking instructions for Information Sessions
- On-campus and off-campus lunch options to choose
- Lodging options in Harrisonburg
- The Bistro 1908 is an excellent lunch option and is located on the 2nd floor of the Student Success Center.
- If you don’t want to risk getting stuck in line at lunchtime, you can submit a lunch order form in person between 8 and 9am.
- For details and additional lunch options, including local establishments that deliver, see the Employer Welcome Guide.
Making Adjustments to Your Visit
- If you need to change a date or the number of schedules originally planned, please contact us at email@example.com.