Mission, Vision and Values
We engage students, faculty and communities in learning, scholarship and service in health and behavioral studies to inspire responsible contributions to our world.
CHBS aspires to excellence in discovery and real-world impact on the health and well-being of individuals and communities that we serve.
We promote and support departments, programs, and initiatives that advance a culture of excellence and uphold the following values:
Scholarship & Professional Development
We participate actively in research and continual professional development.
- Research refers to systematic examination of phenomena using scientific methods and includes the Scholarship of Teaching and the Scholarship of Learning as well as:
- Basic Research–leads to understanding of fundamental questions.
- Applied Research–relates basic research to find solutions to everyday problems
- Translational Research–relates basic research to professional applications that enhance human health and wellbeing in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Professional Development includes activities designed to enhance professional knowledge and skills
We pursue creative approaches/trends that strive toward new and effective solutions, while respecting successful traditions and established best practices.
We appreciate that salient differences exist among and between peoples, programs, disciplines and professions, and that such differences include–and influence–values, beliefs, interests, and worldview.
We raise and respond to questions with a spirit of active inquiry and discovery, both individually and collectively; engage in reflective-active approaches to new information for problem-solving; develop lifelong learning skills
We act in a manner consistent with stated personal, professional, stated college values.
We contribute expertise and energy to the needs of various constituencies (university, professional and extra-university).
We recognize commonalities, respect differences, and search cooperatively for possibilities to engage in interprofessional and interdisciplinary work.
Undergraduate Majors and Minors