Date of Current Revision: March 2012
Responsible Officer: Director of Human Resources
This policy provides the method for determining the holiday schedule for James Madison University each calendar year.
The Board of Visitors has been authorized by the Commonwealth to govern the university, including the authority to establish employment rules. See DHRM Policy 4.25 Holidays. This authority includes setting the holiday schedule each calendar year, to correspond with the number of holidays given to all state employees.
Employee Advisory Committee:
An advisory committee reporting to the president that was established to foster open, honest and productive communication between employees and the university administration with an emphasis on matters of concern to all employees.
A date on which the university is officially closed for normal business.
The holiday schedule is applicable to all members of the university community except those required to perform necessary maintenance and services during times when the university is officially closed (i.e., designated employees).
The president shall sign into effect each calendar year a schedule of official university holidays.
The schedule shall include American Independence Day (July 4th), Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, a Winter break, New Year's Day, Memorial Day Monday and Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. It may also include time for spring break and other appropriate holidays up to the number set by the Commonwealth of Virginia as holidays for state employees.
- Each August, the Director of Human Resources will create a proposal for holidays in the succeeding calendar year.
- The proposal will be forwarded to the Employee Advisory Committee for review.
- Following review by the Employee Advisory Committee, the Director of Human Resources will forward the proposal to the division heads and the executive assistant to the president for review, edit and approval.
- The resulting list of university holidays will be sent to the president for final review and approval - normally by November 1.
- The university holidays are posted on the Human Resources website.
- If additional holiday hours or days are granted by the Governor the same process will be followed in determining the assignment of those additional hours or days.
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for the initial proposal of holidays, coordinating the proposal through the above process and for communicating the upcoming year's holiday schedule to the university community.
The Employee Advisory Committee is responsible for reviewing the proposed holiday schedule.
The division heads and the executive assistant to the president are responsible for initial review and approval of the proposed holiday schedule.
The president is responsible for approving the final holiday schedule for the upcoming year.
Employees who violate this policy are subject to discipline commensurate with the severity and/or frequency of the offense and may include termination of employment.
If the Governor of the Commonwealth declares a state holiday for all state employees, such a declaration will be put into effect and the Director of Human Resources will take the appropriate steps to notify the university community.
The authority to interpret this policy rests with the president, and is generally delegated to the Director of Human Resources.
Previous version: July, 2010
Approved by the President: May, 2002
Official University Holidays
Employee Advisory Committee
Personal Leave Day
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day