Accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Dance

Accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre
 
 

James Madison University
School of Theatre and Dance
147 Warsaw Avenue, MSC 5601
Harrisonburg, VA 22807

 540.568.6342
 theatredance@jmu.edu.

Page Last Updated: 01/17/2013

   Facilities


Forbes Center for the Performing Arts

This is the new centerpiece of the campus and represents the largest construction project in the history of JMU.  Many of the photos below were taken in the latter days of construction but represent a nice virtual tour of what is a true wonderland for visitors, students, artists, scholars.


This photo was taken on the day the tunnel under main street opened to the public; Graduation Day, Spring, 2010.  The tunnel connects the new parking deck and Forbes Center for the Performing Arts with the central campus "Quad".

The 168,000 square foot Forbes Center for the Performing Arts really represents two buildings in one. On the left (from the Quad) is the Dorothy Thomasson Estes Center for Theatre and Dance, and on the right side of the complex is the Shirley Hanson Roberts Center for Music Performance.
 

Views of the 450 seat Mainstage Theatre, Forbes Center for the Performing Arts



All facilities feature state of the art equipment
 

Views of the Earlynn J. Miller Dance Theatre in the
Forbes Center for the Performing Arts


 


 

Studio Theatre in the
Forbes Center for the Performing Arts


Studio Theatre Lobby


Studio Theatre in construction

Debut production in the Studio Theatre: Miss Nelson is Missing. August 5, 2010

Music Facilities in the
Forbes Center for the Performing Arts


Recital Hall

Shops and Support Spaces in the
Forbes Center for the Performing Arts

<

ABOVE: Panorama. Use your mouse to scroll the image 360 degrees



To view this content please install Java.


Welding Area in the Scene Shop


Unpacking in the new costume shop


Costume Storage Space


Lockers for student use.

 

 

 Lobby and Public Spaces in the
Forbes Center for the Performing Arts


Grand Stairway linking the lower and upper lobbies

 

Panoramic view of the new parking deck which serves the
Forbes Center for the Performing Arts

More Photo Galleries - Construction Photos, etc.

 

Facilities We Have Left Behind

Take a nostalgic look at how theatre and dance were from the 1960s and 1970s through the Spring of 2010 when we began our move to the Forbes Center.
 

Latimer-Shaeffer Theatre - Completed in 1967, the Duke Fine Arts Center (later renamed Duke Hall), Named for second president Dr. Samuel Page Duke, is home to Latimer-Shaeffer Theatre. The theatre is named for Dr. Mary E. Latimer, former English faculty member, and Edna T. Shaeffer formerly of the music faculty.


Theatre II - Completed in 1922, was formerly occupied by Wampler Foods Inc. JMU began using the building in 1974. It houses the Experimental Theatre, theater offices and classrooms. The university's buildings and grounds department also uses a portion of the building.

Grace Street Costume Shop - The costume shop resided in this refurbished facility until it was time to move into the Forbes Center.

In Memory of Lincoln House,
Former Location of our Costume Shop -

In 1926, the Harrisonburg Post Office established a sub-station at the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Lincoln, which was conveniently located across the street from the State Teachers College. A decade later, the house was pressed into service as a dormitory when the college needed to accommodate a growing enrollment. In the 1940s, it became the home of Sigma Sigma Sigma and in the 1960s housed some of the first male students. At different times, Lincoln House housed the music department, a tearoom, the bookstore, faculty and student lounges, and finally our costume shop, before it was razed in 2006 to make room for the Forbes Center for the Performing Arts. Lincon House was much loved by our costume staff, students, and faculty. It's spirit will be missed.