- Any spillage of a hazardous chemical or radioactive material is to be reported IMMEDIATELY to Public Safety at ext. 6911 and Facilities Management at ext. 6101/6102.
- When reporting the incident, be specific about the nature of the involved material and the exact location. Public Safety will contact the Emergency Operations Center who will then notify and dispatch appropriate Harrisonburg Fire Department Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) team personnel.
- The key person on-site should evacuate the affected area AT ONCE and seal it off to prevent further contamination of other areas until the arrival of the Campus Police and/or official personnel.
- Anyone who may be contaminated by the spill is to avoid contact with others as much as possible. Remain in the vicinity and give names to Campus Police. Required first aid and clean up by specialized authorities should be started at once.
- If an emergency exists, ACTIVATE the building alarm. PRECAUTION: ALSO report the emergency by telephone.
- When the building evacuation alarm is sounded or an emergency exists: walk quickly to the nearest marked exit and ask others to do the same.
- ASSIST THE HANDICAPPED IN EXITING THE BUILDING!
Remember that elevators are reserved for handicapped persons. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS IN CASE OF FIRE. Do not panic. Remain calm.
- Once outside, move to a clear area that is at least 500 feet away from the affected building(s). Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrants and walkways clear from emergency vehicles and crews. Know your area assembly points.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as necessary.
- A Campus Emergency Command Post may be set up near the disaster site. Keep clear of the Command Post unless you have official business.
- DO NOT RETURN TO AN EVACUATED BUILDING unless told to do so by a University official.
IMPORTANT: After any evacuation, report to your designated campus area assembly point. Stay there until an accurate head count is taken. The Senior Building Emergency Coordinator will take attendance and assist in the accounting for all building occupants.