Being Multicultural Greek
Benefits of Membership
The multicultural fraternity or sorority experience can help personalize your college experience by offering:
- A Lifetime of Brotherhood and Sisterhood That Extends Past the Undergraduate Experience
- A Scholastic Support System
- Diverse Network Opportunities
- Opportunity to Enhance Leadership Skills
- National Leadership Conference Trips
- Opportunity to Enhance Cultural Awareness
- Providing Professional Networking Opportunities
- The Opportunity to Give Back to the Community Through Service Projects
Multicultural fraternity and sorority membership is a lifelong commitment. Once you are an initiated member, you remain a member for life. Each undergraduate chapter is supported by either a local alumni/graduate chapter, regional and/or national office.
One of the most gratifying aspects of Greek life at James Madison University is the sense of satisfaction and pride that comes with involvement in community service. Each year, individual chapters participate in community service projects ranging from volunteering at local shelters and soup kitchens to food and clothing drives. Helping others will undoubtedly be one of the most rewarding experiences a student in a fraternity or sorority will have in college.
Time and Money Commitments
In addition to the organization’s philanthropic, social, and recreational functions, required meetings and activities (such as study halls) require about four to eight hours per week. Some organizations require more time than others. Be sure to ask questions regarding time commitments during your research. Many students at JMU hold full- or part-time jobs.
Joining a fraternity or sorority does carry a financial commitment. Each chapter is self-supporting with revenue coming from dues paying members. When students join a Greek-lettered organization, they agree to pay dues and fees in order to maintain active membership.