The Eight Key Questions (KQs)
What are the key questions used to evaluate the ethical dimensions of a problem?
- Outcomes - what are the short-term and long-term outcomes of possible actions?
- Fairness - how can I act equitably and balance all interests?
- Authority - what do legitimate authorities (e.g., experts, law, my god[s]) expect of me?
- Liberty - what principles of freedom and personal autonomy apply?
- Rights - what rights (e.g., innate, legal, social) apply?
- Responsibilities - what duties and obligations apply?
- Empathy - how would I respond if I cared deeply about those involved?
- Character - what actions will help me become my ideal self?