- PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Oregon State University in 2010
- MS in Mechanical Engineering from Missouri University of Science and Technology in 2006
- BS in Mechanical Engineering from Trine University in 2005
- Dr. Nagel joined the JMU Department of Engineering in 2010 after completing his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Oregon State University. Dr. Nagel’s graduate work explored error-prone, human-centric activities as opportunities for automation. As a graduate student, Dr. Nagel performed systems analysis research with the US Army Chemical Corps, the US Air Force Academy, and General Motors Research and Development.
Scholarly Interests/Research Topics
- Dr. Nagel’s specialization is design theory and methodology. Specifically, his research interests include understanding customer needs, functional and process modeling, and failure analysis, design for sustainability, design of mechatronic systems, and systems integration.
- Open: Engineering Faculty Position
- January 28
Steve Gaffney, JMU alum and nationally recognized speaker presents, "Honest Communication: Learn how to become a leader in your career.”
- February 9
Faraday Lecture Series: Dr. Michael Littman presents, “The value of historical re-creation in understanding how we know and what we know.”
- March 9-13
- April 18
Engineering students present a year of good through innovation, research, and design
ISAT/CS and HHS Buildings
(Frequently Asked Questions)