- B.S. Special Education and Early Childhood Education – East Carolina University
- M.Ed. Special Education – University of Virginia
- Ph.D. Special Education – University of Florida
- Teaches in the K-12 Special Education programs.
- Principal Investigator for the Region 5 Training and Technical Assistance Center – a grant funded project through the Virginia Department of Education.
- Dean, The Graduate School (2006-present).
- Associate Dean, College of Graduate and Outreach Programs (2004-2006).
- Head of the Department of Special Education (1989-1995).
- Program Coordinator for Special Education (1998-2001).
- Former public school special education teacher for students, ages 7-21. Teacher of adolescents with moderate to severe intellectual disabilities and emotional/behavioral disorders at two state residential centers.
- Prior higher education experience includes serving as: an educational diagnostician for the Department of Pediatric Neurology at Shands teaching hospital at the University of Florida, a faculty member in the College of Education at the University of Georgia, and adjunct instructorships at both Albany State University and the University of Florida.
Research and Grants/Contracts:
- Current interests include inquiry in the areas of technology, management principles and visionary perspectives necessary for effective leadership.
- Numerous professional publications, research and technical reports.
- Numerous educational workshops and conference presentations.
- Grant awards and contracts totaling over $31 million.
Three Pieces of Advice for Future/New Teachers:
- Love your students and be their best advocate.
- Actively look to learn something new every day to make you a better teacher.
- Rid yourself of the excuses for why you don’t know, or can’t do, something.
Game Day Colors (purple & gold), Food (pizza or burgers), Bands/Musicians (the Doobie Brothers, Dave Matthews Band, John Mayer, Steely Dan), Teams (JMU Dukes, Florida Gators, ECU Pirates, Virginia Cavaliers, Georgia Bulldogs), Wife (Susan), Children (Karie, Patrick, Michael, Sarah), Grandchildren (Lauren, Bennett, Phillip, Harper, Hannah), Fast Cars and Electric Guitars
View Dr. Linn's Curriculum Vitae
Reid Linn Ph.D.
Dean of Graduate School, James Madison University
Professor of Special Education
Office: Grace Stree House, Rm 24