- Ph.D. University of Virginia, Educational Psychology
- M.Ed. James Madison University, School Psychology
- B.A. Mary Baldwin College, Psychological Services
- Teach psychoeducational assessment, characteristics of emotional and behavior disorders, provide support to ongoing program evaluation efforts, serve as department administrator and provide accountability reports to various oversight agencies.
Professional Experience and Interests:
- Former psychologist for a state autism unit, research and evaluation specialist for state human services programs, and teacher of students with autism and other pervasive developmental disorders, people with traumatic brain injury, and adults with learning disabilities.
- Current research interests include measurement of resilience and teacher efficacy, influences on those constructs, and India’s progress toward inclusive education.
One Piece of Advice for Future/New Teachers:
- Don’t accept an outdated educational system driven by categorical funding schemes – impel change by seeing every learner as an individual and not a member of a group.
Resources that you would Recommend:
View VITA of Dr. Desportes
- I love playing and listening to music, surrounding myself with animals, and travel with friends and family.
- Check my wikis using the case sensitive password ExEdRus. http://wiki.coe.jmu.edu/exed/28
Office: Memorial 3126 A