1. Plan 2-3 years in advance of intended departure
2. Talk with Unit Heads, Deans, and past JMU Fulbrighters
3. Explore by attending Fulbright information sessions at JMU
4. Enlist coaching from CFI to support your application
5. Apply by the relevant deadline
Funding Your Fulbright
Fulbright Grants are awarded directly to the person, not the institution. A "JMU Fulbright Enhancement Award" is an opportunity to creatively support your Fulbright utilizing a cost-sharing model that encourages Unit Heads and Departments to partner with the Office of International Programs and the Office of Diversity to backfill your teaching and service responsibilities when you are away.
Typically Academic Units and Colleges reap great benefits from having a Fulbrighter among the faculty. This has been shown with some convincing research on the topic. The rewards are many and ripple into the future after a Fulbrighter returns home and integrates his/her new experiences into curriculum, courses, research projects, study abroad programs, and more.