1. Plan 2-3 years in advance of intended departure
2. Talk with Unit Heads, Deans, and past JMU Fulbrighters
3. Explore by attending Fulbright information sessions at JMU
4. Enlist coaching from CFI to support your application
5. Apply by the relevant deadline
Funding Your Fulbright
Fulbright Grants are awarded directly to the person, not the institution. A "JMU Fulbright Enhancement Award" is an opportunity to creatively support your Fulbright utilizing funds provided by the Provost’s Office. These funds support Unit Heads and Departments in their process of backfilling your teaching and service responsibilities when you are away. Contact Ed Brantmeier at email@example.com with more questions.
Typically Academic Units and Colleges reap great benefits from having a Fulbrighter among the faculty. This has been shown with some convincing research on the topic. The rewards are many and ripple into the future after a Fulbrighter returns home and integrates his/her new experiences into curriculum, courses, research projects, study abroad programs, and more.