Concentrations: None

Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)

JMU Course: ARTH 205, Survey of World Art I: Prehistoric to Renaissance

  • VCCS equivalents: ART 101 or ART 201
  • RBC equivalents: ART 201

JMU Course: ARTH 206, Survey of World Art II: Renaissance to Modern

  • VCCS equivalents: ART 102 or ART 202
  • RBC equivalents: ART 202

JMU Course: ART 102, Two-Dimensional Design

  • VCCS equivalents: ART 131
  • RBC equivalents: ART 101

JMU Course: ART 104, Drawing I

  • VCCS equivalents: ART 121
  • RBC equivalents: ART 103

JMU Course: ART 106, Three-Dimensional Design

  • VCCS equivalents: ART 132
  • RBC equivalents: ART 102

JMU Course: ART 108, Drawing II

  • VCCS equivalents: ART 122 or 221
  • RBC equivalents: ART 104

Advising Notes

Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.

1. Students must submit a portfolio of their work in order to be considered for admission to the program. See the department's web site for review dates and more information on the portfolio.
2. Please Note: ARCD 200 is the gateway course into the major and is only offered in the fall semester. Students accepted to the major who transfer in the spring will not be able to take major courses until the following fall semester.
3. There is an additional admission process for architectural design. Admission to upper-division ARCD courses is based on completion of all prerequisite art courses and merit as determined by a faculty review of portfolios submitted in satisfaction of the course ARCD 208, Portfolio Review. 
4. The ARCD studio courses are sequential and require 3 years at JMU. Students who want to transfer after one year should plan their courses carefully to meet JMU's general education requirements.
5. It is possible for students to receive upper division studio art and/or architectural design credit in transfer, however course content (course description, course syllabi, and/or samples of work done in class) may be required to determine transferability.

For more information:

Major Snapshot
The School of Art, Design and Art History    
Career Guide to JMU Majors: Architectural Design   
Advising guides by community college

Back to Top