Click on the name of the recipe you'd like to read!
- Linguine Bolognese
- Whole Wheat Couscous
- Salmon and Asparagus
- Chicken and Garlic
- Vegetable Tian
- Baby Tiramisu
- Easiest Chocolate Dipping Sauce Ever
- Ravioli Skillet
- Tofu Stir Fry
- Grilled Mango Chutney
- Breakfast Burrito
- Banana-Cranberry Muffins
- Penne with Greens and Pine Nuts
- Homemade Pasta Sauce
- Asparagus Milanese
- Black Bean Salsa
Makes 4 servings. Cook time: 21 minutes. Total time: 30 minutes.
- 6-oz. whole wheat linguine
- 8-oz. extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- ¼ cup chopped carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or prepared garlic (found in produce section)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz.), unsalted diced tomatoes
- ½ cup unsalted tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp shredded part-skim mozzarella
Directions: Prepare pasta per package directions. Heat large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, breaking meat into smaller pieces, until no longer pink (3 to 4 minutes). Stir in onion, carrot, garlic and oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to soften (about 2 minutes). Add zucchini and cook until starting to soften (about 2 minutes). Stir in tomatoes (with juice), tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until slightly thickened (12 to 15 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in salt. Serve sauce over drained pasta and sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
- Calories: 308.8 Cal
- Fat: 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Cholesterol: 32.9 mg
- Sodium: 265.1 mg
- Carbohydrates: 49.2 g
- Total Sugars: 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 8.9 g
Makes 2 servings.
- ¾ cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup whole wheat couscous
Directions: Bring broth, scallions and parsley to a boil in a small saucepan. Add couscous, return to a simmer, cover and remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Makes 2 servings.
- 2 sheets 12-inch by 18-inch foil wrap
- 2 5-oz. salmon fillets
- 1 lb. asparagus
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
Directions: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Break ends off asparagus spears and divide into 2 portions. Spray center of each foil sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place one salmon fillet in the middle of the sheet, along with a portion of asparagus. Drizzle with lemon juice and add freshly ground black pepper. Bring up sides of foil and fold over the top twice. Seal the ends, leaving room for air to circulate inside the packet. Place on a cookie sheet and cook in oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until salmon is opaque.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
- Calories: 253
- Calories from Fat: 78
- Total Fat: 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Cholesterol: 64 mg
- Sodium: 68 mg
- Carbohydrates: 10.4 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 33.4 g
Makes 2 servings.
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry chicken pieces in the hot oil until browned on all sides. Add the garlic and continue to cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice, and season with salt and pepper. Cook just until heated through.
Recipe: Vegetable Tian
Makes 2 servings.
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 large sweet yellow onion cut in half and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 russet potato, unpeeled
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 3 large Roma tomatoes
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Dried thyme, to taste
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and sauteé until translucent (about 8 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Spread the onion mixture on the bottom of the greased baking dish. Slice the potatoes, zucchini, squash and tomatoes in ¼-inch thick slices. Layer them alternatively in the dish on top of the onion, fitting them tightly into a spiral, making only one layer. Season with sea salt, black pepper and dried thyme, to taste. Drizzle the last tablespoon of olive oil over the top. Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Uncover and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
- ½ cup nonfat ricotta (4-oz.)
- 2 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 12 ladyfingers (about 1 ¾ oz.)
- 4 tbsp brewed espresso or strong coffee, divided
- 2 tbsp bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
Directions: Combine ricotta, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Place 6 ladyfingers in a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of espresso or coffee. Spread the ricotta mixture over the ladyfingers. Place another layer of ladyfingers over the ricotta and drizzle with remaining 2 tbsp espresso or coffee. Drizzle with melted chocolate and refrigerate until the chocolate is set (about 30 minutes).
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
- Calories: 107
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 3 mg
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Sodium: 125 mg
- Potassium: 29 mg
- Protein: 22 g
Makes approximately ¾ cup.
- ½ cup dark (60% cacao) chocolate chips
- ¼ cup 2% milk
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
Directions: Combine chocolate and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for one minute. Remove and whisk until well-combined and smooth. Add butter and stir until butter is melted and chocolate sauce is smooth.
Low fat, easy and vegetarian!
Start to Finish: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 14.5-ounce can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick (about 2.5 cups)
- 1 9-ounce package refrigerated cheese (or meat) ravioli
- 1 15- ounce can white kidney beans (cannellini) rinsed and drained
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil or parsely
In a large saucepan combine undrained tomatoes and broth; bring to boiling. Stir in zucchini and ravioli. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 6 to 7 minutes or until ravioli is tender and broth mixture is slightly thickened, stirring gently once or twice. Stir in beans, heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and/ or basil.
- 1 or 2 boxes of extra firm tofu
- 2 red peppers
- 2 onions
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1 bottle of olive oil
- 1 container of minced garlic
- 1 box of rinsed quinoa
- 1 container of tamari sauce
- 1 large container of vegetable broth
To begin this recipe, you need to prepare the quinoa and tofu first. For the quinoa, soak it for five or more minutes. Place it in a fine sieve or colander lined with cheesecloth. Rinse thoroughly in warm water for 3-4 minutes. You can skip this step if you have purchased pre-rinsed quinoa. Place two parts liquid (vegetable broth) and one part quinoa in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 12 – 15 minutes. Like rice, the quinoa is ready when the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving. While the quinoa is cooking, cut up tofu into cubes, and let it marinate in olive oil and any other spice you'd like. Next, cut up the peppers, onions, and broccoli into desired sizes. Put some olive oil and garlic into a pan and begin to heat up. Begin to sauteé the vegetables, and when they are almost finished, add the tofu until lightly browned. Tamari sauce can be added at this point if desired. Remove from heat, serve over quinoa, and enjoy!
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fat-free blue cheese dressing
- 2 whole roasted red peppers, divided in half, with each half cut into strips
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil plus 4 small leaves for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine the feta cheese and the blue cheese dressing. Stir to mix evenly.
- Arrange the equivalent of 1/2 red pepper in the center of 4 small serving plates.
- Drizzle each serving with 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the feta cheese-blue cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle black pepper and 1/2 tablespoon chopped basil over the salad.
- Garnish each with a basil leaf and serve at room temperature.
- Calories 91
- Cholesterol 8 mg
- Protein 2 g
- Sodium 195 mg
- Carbohydrate 7 g
- Fiber 1.5 g
- Total fat 7 g
- Potassium 145 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Calcium 52 mg
- Monounsaturated fat 4 g
Makes 3 cups
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) reduced-sodium garbanzos, rinsed and drained except for 1/4 cup liquid
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- In a blender or food processor, add the garbanzos.
- Process to puree.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, paprika, tahini and parsley.
- Blend well.
- Add the reserved liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture has the consistency of a thick spread.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serving size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories 48
- Protein 2 g
- Carbohydrate 6 g
- Total fat 2 g
- Saturated fat < 1 g
- Monounsaturated fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 106 mg
- Fiber 2 g
- Potassium 15 mg
- Calcium 15 mg
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup canned corn
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 flour tortilla, 6 inches in diameter
- 2 tablespoons salsa
In a small skillet, add the chopped tomato, onion and corn. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are soft and moisture is evaporated. Add the egg substitute and scramble with the vegetables until cooked through, about 3 minutes.
To serve, spread the egg mixture in the center of the tortilla and top with salsa. Fold in both sides of the tortilla up over the filling, then roll to close. Serve immediately.
- Serving size: 1 burrito
- Calories 231
- Protein 12 g
- Carbohydrate 34 g
- Total fat 5 g
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 1 mg
- Sodium 519 mg
- Fiber 4 g
- Potassium 525 mg
- Calcium 91 mg
- 2 extra-ripe, large bananas peeled
- 1 cup Fiber One cereal
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Splenda/mix brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce (for decreasing oil content)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- *optional: add a few squirts of sugar-free maple syrup, walnuts, flaxseeds, and dried cranberries
Puree bananas in blender. In a small bowl, mix cereal and milk to soften. Add cereal mix to blender along with eggs, sugar, applesauce and vanilla. Blend and stir until well mixed. In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour in banana mix. Stir until just blended. Pour into greased 2.5 inch muffin cups. Bake @ 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Makes 12 muffins!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large chopped red onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 lb of swiss chard
- 1/2 bunch of kale
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb penne
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. In a frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add onion until translucent (4 min.). Add garlic and cook, stirring often. Add the chard and kale and stir until wilted (4 min.). Reduce the heat to medium, add 1/2 cup of water, and cover the pan. Cook until the greens are tender-crisp, about 15 minutes. Stir in the raisins and nuts and remove from heat. Add the pasta to boiling water, and cook until al dente. Drain and leave about 1/2 cup of pasta water.
Add as much of the pasta water to the sauce and toss to combine. Serve!
- Minced garlic (to taste)
- Yellow, green, orange, red peppers (all, none, or one!)
- Cilantro (to taste)
- Apple cider vinegar (about 1-2 tbsp)
- Extra virgin olive oil (1-2 tbsp)
- 1/2 can of diced tomatoes (look for reduced sodium)
- White or red onion, chopped, to taste
- Spray a pan with cooking spray, dump all the ingredients into the pan over medium --> medium-high heat, and stir until simmering. Works best if ingredients have been left to marinade for several hours.
- 1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter (for a healthier choice, use cooking spray instead of butter)
- 4 eggs
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp. minced shallot
- 2 tbsp. panko or fresh breadcrumbs
- Steam the asparagus by filling a frying pan with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil.
- Add the asparagus, cover, and cook until bright green and tender crisp (3-4 minutes).
- Drain and divide the asparagus among 4 plates.
- In the same pan over medium heat, melt the butter (spray cooking spray).
- Break each egg into the pan and cook until whites and yolks are set (4 min.).
- Place one egg on top of each serving of asparagus.
- Add shallot and panko to the pan and sauteé until the crumbs are golden, about 2 min.
- Sprinkle over eggs.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Eat!
Serves 16 (makes 6 cups)
- 2 - 15 oz cans Black Beans, drained
- 1 - 11 oz can Mexicorn, drained
- 1 - 7 oz can Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 2 - Tomatoes, seeded & chopped
- 2 - Ripe Haas Avocados, peeled & chopped
- 1 - Purple Onion, chopped
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 3 - 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cover and Chill.
- Garnish, if desired, with avocado slices and/or cilantro.
- Serve with Tortilla Chips.
- 4-ounce can diced green chili peppers, drained
- Half a small onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 10-inch fat-free whole-wheat tortilla
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- In a bowl, combine peppers, onion and cumin.
- Sprinkle each tortilla with cheese, using 1/4 cup cheese on each.
- Divide pepper mixture among tortillas, spreading it over cheese.
- Roll up each tortilla and put in greased 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Cover pan with foil. Bake at 350 F for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Remove foil.
- Turn oven to broil.
- Broil 4 inches from heat for 1 1/2 minutes a side, or until lightly browned.
- Cut each tortilla into 4 pieces.
- Serve with your favorite salsa for dipping.
- Serving size: 2 pieces
- Calories 103
- Cholesterol 10 mg
- Protein 6 g
- Sodium 200 mg
- Carbohydrate 16 g
- Fiber 6 g
- Total fat 3 g
- Potassium 38 mg
- Saturated fat 1.5 g
- Calcium 119 mg
- Monounsaturated fat 0.5 g