Frequently Asked Questions

How is the University Health Center caring for students during the COVID-19 pandemic?

The UHC has created a clinic specifically for students experiencing respiratory illness which will keep them separate from students with other illnesses. In cooperation with off-campus diagnostic partners, we are performing viral testing. We have also expanded our telemedicine options and triage systems, as well as created a video series for illnesses that respond well to self-care measures. These are just a few examples, for the most up-to-date information see our COVID-19 FAQ.

Do you require a physical?

No, but Virginia law does require proof of immunizations. Students need to upload this information by July 8 into their MyJMUChart patient portal and answer a short TB screening and health history. Detailed instructions can be found on our Incoming Students webpage.

What if I’m having trouble getting immunization records?

We want to help families of new students understand and comply with state requirements for immunization records.  We recognize that right now access to medical records may be more complicated than under normal circumstances.  Here is our advice on how to navigate this process:

  1. Please do your best to contact your medical provider.  While the pandemic has disrupted family and pediatric medical practices, many practices remain open and more are re-opening each day. 
  2. You may be able to obtain immunization records from the high school your child attended.  Again, while most schools are closed at this time, many have already brought back their administrative staff and more are doing so each day. 
  3. If you are running into unreasonable roadblocks to obtaining immunization forms, please contact the University Health Center. We will be glad to help you. While the university is required to be compliant with state law regarding immunizations, we will do what we can to adapt to unusual circumstances.

What medical services are available on campus?

We have a wide variety of services that focus on specific student health needs which include General Medicine, Urgent Care, Women’s Health and a Nurse Clinic for allergy and vaccine injections.  We’re like your doctor’s office away from home. We also have a pharmacy that fills prescriptions and carries a variety of over-the-counter medical products. 

What hours are you open?

The Health Center is open Monday through Friday during business hours. Our online health portal is available to students 24/7 for scheduling most appointments and accessing their health information.

What does a student do if they need medical care when you’re closed?

We suggest utilizing one of the several local urgent care centers, or the Sentara RMH Emergency Department which is located less than a mile and a half from campus. Most insurance providers have 24-hour nurse advice lines; we encourage students to utilize this option if it is available through their insurance.

Do you administer allergy shots?

Yes, our Allergy Clinic page has more details about how to set them up.

Do you require insurance?

No, since there is no fee to see a UHC medical provider we do not bill insurance. We do recommend that students have insurance coverage in case they need to visit the local hospital or an outside medical provider.

What other programs do you have?

The Well – Health Promotion and Well-being provides early intervention for students struggling with the role of alcohol and cannabis in their lives and Survivor Advocacy services which provide confidential, caring support for students who have experienced sexual violence, dating violence, or stalking and help students understand and access the campus and community resources. We provide educational programs on a variety of topics including alcohol and other drug abuse prevention, healthy sexuality, positive body image, and power-based personal violence prevention.

Opportunities are also available for Health Sciences majors to volunteer in our clinic and The Well has student volunteer opportunities with Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Expression (SOGIE) programming and for peer educators.

What if I have other questions?

You can visit our website or email us. Find additional FAQs here.

Have a question that's not listed above? Ask us!

Back to Top