2016 Orientation Peer Adviser (OPA) Information
The Orientation Office invites applicants for the Orientation Peer Adviser (OPA) position. OPAs are a diverse group of undergraduate students who play a critical role in the success of JMU’s Orientation programs that engage new students in the Madison learning experience by preparing them to be active and authentic members of the university community. OPAs do this by being a mentor and role model to first-year students, supervising First yeaR Orientation Guides (FROGs), providing direction and support to new students and parents, representing JMU through professional and competent behavior and accurately depicting life as a student of James Madison University.
We strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds, programs of study, leadership experiences, involvements and interests. As an OPA, you will have an opportunity to enhance your leadership, communication and customer service skills, while providing support to first-year students in their transition to James Madison University.
A portion of this year's application must be turned in online and other portions must be turned in by the applicant to the Orientation Office in SSC 2200 (across from the Bistro) by Monday, October 12, 2015, at 5 p.m.
The Selection Process
There are four stages in the selection process:
- Application Review (Application Due Date: Monday, October 12, 2015, by 5 p.m.)
- Group Interviews (October 19-21, 2015)
- Individual Interviews (November 9-13, 2015)
- Final Interview (Friday, December 4, 2015 from 5-6 p.m.)
Although all applicants will go through the application review, only select candidates will advance to the group interviews. After group interviews are finished, selected candidates will continue to the individual interviews. The application process will conclude with a final interview, held on December 4. All candidates are expected to attend all portions of our interview process. All candidates will be notified of their status the week of December 7, 2015.
Apply to be an OPA
- Read the OPA Position Description.
- Review and prepare documents that need to be handed in to the Orientation Office (see pages 1-2 on the Position Description).
- Submit the online portion of the application.
- One of your references must submit the OPA Online Reference Form.