Coaching Capstone Experience
To complement formalized classroom instruction with practical professional experiences, prospective coaches complete a 120 hour internship in coaching (KIN 473). This experience provides students the opportunity to explore theories, concepts, competencies, ideas, and principles of coaching in a supervised coaching setting.
To prepare for KIN 473, Coaching Education Minor candidates:
- Complete ALL other required minor courses with a grade of C or better
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Obtain and have current CPR & First Aid Certification before enrolling.
- Successfully complete the Coaching Principles course through Human Kinetics and earn certification (note: this is part of KIN 205)
- Successfully complete Child Abuse & Neglect: Recognizing, Reporting, & Responding for educators (CWSE 5691) course and SafeSport or similar training and earn certification (note: this is part of KIN 450)
- Obtain coaching certification in the sport students plan to coach from a national organization.
- Determine preferred sport and locate potential coaching sites.
- Complete the internship application in the semester before planning to complete KIN 473.