"Everyone can be great because anyone can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't even have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve... You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love" — Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
The Civic Learning Site Experience is grounded in the principles of Alexander Astin's Involvement Theory. Students are matched with an on-campus site that is in line with their involvement interests, needs, and/or strengths. Students meet regularly with the site supervisor to discuss progress and ongoing expectations. Students also attend peer-facilitated reflection group meetings with other students completing the Site Experience Program.
The Site Experience is mutually beneficial for the student and the site. Students are given the opportunity to meet new people, have new experiences, and become aware of all the JMU campus has to offer. The site will benefit as a result of the student utilizing his or her strengths to contribute to the site's mission.
Goals for the Site Experience
- Students will increase their self knowledge and understand how their personal actions impact and influence the university community.
- Students will increase their level of connection and/or belonging to the university.
- Students will increase their level of civic engagement within the university community.
- Students will demonstrate an increased motivation to change behavior patterns that could lead to a judicial violation.
- Students will develop an understanding of JMU administrative and supportive office structure.
- Students will increase their self awareness and understanding of their value and personal role within the JMU community.
Current Sites (subject to availability):
Carrier Library Public Services
The Center for Assessment and Research Studies
Center for Faculty Innovation
Center for Instructional Technology
Center for Multicultural Student Services
Edith J. Carrier Arboretum
Furious Flower Poetry Center
Gilliam Center for Ethical Business Leadership
International Programs, Office of
JMU Athletics - Duke Club
Lifelong Learning Institute
Madison Art Collection
Office of Equal Opportunity
oIP International Student & Scholar Services
Residence Life – Business Operations
Residence Life – First Year Involvement
Training and Development
University Health Center's Student Wellness and Outreach
University Health Center's Substance Abuse Prevention
UREC Group Fitness and Wellness
UREC – Intramural Sports
UREC – Welcome Center