Many students declare IdLS with an armful of credit hours earned at another school or as students in other JMU majors. So, it may be tricky to determine which of these credit hours satisfy (or not) requirements for the IdLS major or teacher licensure minor. 

Here are some common questions commonly asked by transfer students. While answers to these questions are a good first step to help you transition to the IdLS major, you should also plan to meet with an IdLS advisor in Maury Hall 118 or with a transfer advisor in Roop Hall.

I'm a high school student wanting to complete coursework at a Virginia community college before enrolling at JMU. What classes should I take if I eventually want to declare IdLS at JMU? 

At your community college there should be an advisor from JMU. Make a point to meet with this person in order to take the classes that will count for the IdLS core. Additional information related to transferring to JMU can be found here.

Will I be able to get into classes when I attend my Transfer Orientation appointment?

Yes. When you come to your orientation appointment, advisors will work with you to plan a reasonable semester schedule that meets major and/or minor requirements, and you will have time to enroll in those classes before you leave. When you return to JMU, be sure to schedule a follow-up appointment with an IdLS advisor to map out future semester schedules so you stay on track and graduate on time.

Will everything I took at my community college transfer?

If you earned a "C" or better in your classes, the credits will likely transfer. However, the content, scope, and rigor of one course taken at JMU may not have a one-course equivalent at another school. A good example is the MATH107, 108, 207 sequence: These courses were developed at JMU by the Math Department specifically for IdLS students, and it's unlikely another school offers a math course equivalent. The ISCI 171, 172, 173 courses are another example; however, college-level geology and astronomy; chemistry and physics; or biological sciences may satisify these requirements.

I have taken some college-level education courses, just not at JMU. Will they meet education program requirements? 

Pose such questions to an advisor in the College of Education program you're minoring in. If you don't yet have an education advisor, visit or contact one of the advisors in the Education Support Center, Memorial Hall Rm. 7230/7240.

As a transfer student, do I have to take the Math Placement Exam?

Yes, you must take the Math Placement Exam in order to place into the correct IdLS math class.

Back to Top