Feature Image

Onboard for Divisions Using Paper PARs

A candidate has accepted your department's job offer, now what?

As soon as a candidate has accepted a job offer, the department should submit an onboard form for a full-time or part-time non-student employee who is new hire, a rehire or an employee transferring from a student to a non-student position.

The onboard form can be found at http://www.jmu.edu/humanresources/recruitment/onboard/onboardform.shtml or, if the department has multiple (10+) onboard requests, the department should use the Multiple Hire Spreadsheet and email it to onboard@jmu.edu. Once you’ve submitted the onboard form or multiple hire spreadsheet, we will take it from there!

The Onboard Specialist will determine from the onboard form if paperwork needs to be completed with the employee and if so, the Onboard Specialist will schedule an onboard session with the new employee sometime after the employee accepts the job offer and before his/her first day of work or before his/her transfer from a student to a non-student position.

After completing the onboard session, the employee will be cleared to begin work!

What exactly is an onboard session?

At the onboard session, the employee will complete all required hiring paperwork to include the Form I-9, Employee Information Form, tax forms, direct deposit, background check and a JMU policy page. During the onboard session, the employee will also be scheduled for their Phase One and Two Orientation sessions, when applicable. Additionally, the employee will fill out parking forms and will receive a temporary parking pass as well as instructions on how and when to obtain a JACard. The session typically lasts 30 minutes for new employees. The length of the onboard session for rehired employees and student employees transferring in to a non-student position will vary depending on their break in service and the required paperwork that is needed.

Note:  Departments will still be responsible for completing paperwork that is specific to the department as well as the PAR, PAW and contracts, when applicable.

When will the onboard session take place?

In order to accommodate the large amount of hiring that occurs during the summer months, we will offer group sessions between mid-April and late August. These sessions will be held Monday through Thursday at 9am or 3pm and at 9am on Friday. The Onboard Specialist will schedule each employee for one of these sessions based on his or her availability.

Throughout the rest of the year, we will schedule onboard sessions as it suits the employee.

What is on the onboard form and why do you need that information?

The onboard form contains information about the employee that the Onboard Specialist will analyze to determine if an employee needs to complete an onboard session prior to starting work.

  • Employee Name: be sure that the spelling is accurate as this helps us determine if they’ve been previously employed by JMU. Also, if you know the middle name or initial, this helps too!
  • Desired start date: this is the date that the employee will start working. The desired start date is one of the most important pieces of information on the onboard form. The date lets the Onboard Specialist know when the onboard session must be completed by, and in particular, the Form I-9. Federal regulation requires the Form I-9 to be completed on, or before, the employees first day of pay or the university could be liable for fines.
  • Is the employee currently a JMU student: this is used for parking purposes
  • Is this a new hire or a rehire:
    • New if the employee has never worked for JMU before
    • Rehire: if the employee has worked for JMU in the past, but has had a break in service (a break in service = one day break or longer).  Rehires may or may not need to complete an onboard session depending on how long it has been since he or she has worked for JMU and if their paperwork on file is up to date and in compliance. Student employees that are transferring to a non-student position (even if they will not have a break in service) will be considered rehires and will need to go through an onboard session prior to starting work because SWEC and HR are two different entities.
    • Position Type: Position type lets the Onboard Specialist know what the employee will be doing at JMU so that the appropriate information can be provided, such as orientation dates and appropriate parking forms.
    • Credentials: if an employee will be teaching an academic course at JMU or serving as a student teacher supervisor, then credential information will be required. For more information about transcript requirements, go to Hiring Manager - Transcripts.
    • Visa: this lets the Onboard Specialist know if they should be coordinating with the Office of International Programs.
    • Home phone, Cell phone and Email address: This contact information is used by the Onboard Specialist to contact the employee if it is determined that the employee will need come in for an onboard session prior to starting work. The more information provided the better! Please do not use a JMU phone number.
    • Department Contact Information: used to let the department know when an employee is eligible to work.

I've submitted the onboard form. When will I know my employee is eligible to begin work?

Once the employee is eligible to begin work, the Onboard Specialist will email the departmental contact that is identified on the onboard form. For new hires, the Employee Information Form will be attached with the employee's social security number blocked out. Phase One and Phase Two Orientation dates and times will also be communicated in this e-mail, when applicable.

Note: An employee cannot begin work until the department receives an email indicating the employee is eligible to start work from the Onboard Specialist.

How will this process change when the ePAR goes live for my division?

Once the ePAR goes into effect, it will ultimately serve as your department’s one-stop shop for hiring an employee for your department. The ePAR combines the onboard form, the PAR, and the PAW. Please refer to the FAQs for divisions using the ePAR once your division begins using the ePAR.

Back to Top